So I started a little experiment on sowing sarracenia seeds around mid March. And now I think it's time to see the result I got.
Species: Sarracenia leucophylla
Time seeds harvested: mid-late Feb.
Group 1: No stratification, sowed on sphagnum moss and perlite mix, kept in sealed bag.
Germination rate: 13/25, 52%.
Timeline: first seed germinated 2 weeks after sowing, and it took about 1 month from 1st germination to 13th.
Group 2: 10 days stratification, sowed on sphagnum moss, kept in sealed bag.
Germination rate: 23/25, 92%
Timeline: first germinated 2 weeks after sowing, and it took about 1 week from 1st germination to 23rd.
1. Stratification definitely helps germination, at least in S.leucophylla;
2. For S.leucophylla, 1 week stratification should be enough for a 90%+ germination rate;
3. Unstratified seeds need way more time to germinate, be patient!