Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heliamphora outdoors?

Greetings from the netherworld. curtisconners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the graph, but to be honest I don't really get what it means as I will grow outside or use a windowsill whenever possible. Could someone please explain what that means or how to interpret the chart? Thanks.
    The profile pic that you see above is my actual photo. I am a hyper-intelligent snake that has learned to use the internet and I will eventually rule you all.

Just kidding..... Or am I?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by curtisconners View Post
    What is the optimal spectrum?
    its the spectrum I use
    Not saying what I use is any better than anyone else's, but it does seem to grow Heliamphora well for me.

I think what you really was wanting to ask is what kelvin rating is best...

The bulbs I use don't really have a kelvin rating, but of those that do... I like 5000k
    If you're using the sun then it doesn't matter
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 05-09-2016 at 06:36 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you ask 10 different growers about the best light spectrum, you'll likely get 10 different answers. If I had to guess I'd say that graph represents a color temperature in the 4000-5000k range. Really anything between 3000k and 6500k or so should be fine. Right now I have some 5400k T5 bulbs and a 4000k LED and they both work fine, though I find the more balanced color of the LED more pleasing visually as the 5400k fluorescent bulbs are noticably blue-tinted.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The chart shows the wavelengths that my bulbs are emitting energy in, and at what relative amplitude.
    Sunlight is made up of all the colors in the rainbow.

Some of these colors are used by plants for photosynthesis, some can inhibit botrytis growth and some induce sporation of beneficial biologicals like Trichoderma. If there is energy available, somehow nature has probably found a use for it. She's pretty good about that :-)

Different plants have different requirements (much peer reviewed research on this) so what one grower finds works best on his heliamphora may not be the best for another grower's Nepenthes. Likewise, missing a wavelength may cause repeated issues with botrytis or other mold issues yet the plant grows well otherwise.

Kelvin ratings refer to the light emitted by a black box if heated to that temperature, CRI is color rendering index... in other words how accurately colors appear compared to natural sunlight.
    You can have two different 6500k bulbs that render color totally different. Much like that shirt that looked black in the store looks blue outside. etc.

Then you have PAR and PUR which is specific to the active regions for photosynthesis, but again.... this is not one size fits all.
    So, yes.... ask ten different people and get ten different answers, each may be correct for the grower answering the question.

Very few things exist where one size fits all

:-)
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 05-10-2016 at 10:04 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of curiosity, which wavelengths inhibit botrytis growth and promote trichoderma growth?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, I don't know off top of my head.... just remember reading it in peer reviewed papers somewhere along the line.
    Don't quote me, but think its a blue for botrytis.... but I'm saying that cause it just sounds correct to me.

You might use google scholar or JSTOR to find the peer reviewed papers.... its been a few years since I really studied the biological needs of light.
    Maybe someone else can chime in on that for us.

Lighting is one of those things the more you read, the more you learn, the more you realize how little you do know.

- - - Updated - - -

LOl, well maybe not blue....

quickie search on google scholar: Light-induced Resistance of Broad Bean against Botrytis cinerea - Islam - 2008 - Journal of Phytopathology - Wiley Online Library
    But that paper states its the effect of those wavelengths on the plant itself...
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 05-10-2016 at 10:30 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    more quickie google scholar: An action spectrum for photoinduced sporulation in the fungus Trichoderma viride

(those links are just the first ones that popped out to me during a quickie search, may be much better refs if you dig a little deeper than the first 2 or 3 hits)
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 05-10-2016 at 11:10 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it works in my case because of evaporative cooling. Yes, I kept them in water logged live sphag in 90 degree heat, but because it's so dry there's lots of evaporation going on. Mine from back then ended up being re-homed at David's house because after the back surgery I just couldn't take care of that many green kids.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast