Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wind Damage

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wind Damage

While Sarracenia pitcher leaves are still flat and just before they begin to expand or open they are vulnerable to wind damage. This is one of those years when I am getting quite a few broken pitchers.

S. 'Hummer's Okee Classic' - having recovered from being divided last year pitchers are easily going well above the 12-14 inch mark.

A MacGyver Fix aka Jury Rigged aka Field Modification aka Mickey Moused depending on your age or social group - masking tape

The smaller pitcher was damaged severely enough that the "cast" will probably not help. It's too tight regardless for the area of growth. In some cases if the damage is not to bad the tape can be removed after the pitcher opens.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You didn't draw little vfts onto their band-aids? They're not the cool kids with just the plain ones...

Greetings from the netherworld. curtisconners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Band aid design is irrelevant, thez yo. Also, your hummer's okee classic looks like Leucyphylla.
    The profile pic that you see above is my actual photo. I am a hyper-intelligent snake that has learned to use the internet and I will eventually rule you all.

Just kidding..... Or am I?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a pot of S. leucophylla Hurricane Creek, AL next to the S. 'Hummer's Okee Classic'. I only repot and divide one clone at a time as to not mix up the tags.

Here's a pitcher from a few years ago:
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Greetings from the netherworld. curtisconners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That explains it.
    The profile pic that you see above is my actual photo. I am a hyper-intelligent snake that has learned to use the internet and I will eventually rule you all.

Just kidding..... Or am I?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes mine have been blown over as well. most likely will get a shock tonight with the temps as well. :-/

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get wind damage on occasion, but in my typically low humidity once the pitcher is bent, even with attempted fixing it will stay kinked....more of concern right now is that everything outside is getting soaking wet and cold over several days here, and there were a few that were already looking a bit sad; praying this doesn't make them rot fully through.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the fix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast