Likes Likes:  11
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone? and Can I?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kjnorris918 View Post
    Someone more experienced correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's pretty much the temperature (the light changes come with the drop in temperature) as it slows the cycle of the plant for a period of rest to help promote new growth when not dormant.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
    If it were temperature controlled, Sunbelle wouldn't be able to grow Sarracenia haha
    We still have days up to 85 in December ave they go dormant in November. It's definitely more based on light levels than temperature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for clarification. I've been corrected. Haha. Has anyone? and Can I?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photoperiod length triggers dormancy, but cooler temperatures (and drier conditions) really help avoid rot in the middle of winter; if there is sufficient sunlight however, that dormant period may only be a period of weeks rather than months, the obligate rather than facultative dormancy that they absolutely need and then can grow the rest of the year without pause.
    Nimbulan: it would seem there is a large umber of plants that have been widely thought to be actually registered cultivars that simply are not, and that's come to my notice several times recently. First was N. "Rebecca Soper" which is incredibly common now but was never an official name, now "Daina's Delight" which I often see reputable nurseries label in cultivar terms, but I cannot find the registration data either (whether published with the CPN or not, the ICPS would have a registry record if it had been); this is unfortunately somewhat dangerous because it means anyone could technically take another plant, entirely different or very similar it would not matter, and register it officially under the same name and by ICRA rules that one would be the correct bearer of the name and the common ones we know now by the name would have to be labeled differently. Or, conversely, someone could take the same plants and register them under the names and remove all credit from the original growers.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found most nurseries to be inconsistent with cultivar labels, regularly mixing up the quote type. There are also many plants (especially Nepenthes) that commonly have the location data in quotes for some reason.

It really is strange that such widely-distributed plants were never registered, though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    Photoperiod length triggers dormancy, but cooler temperatures (and drier conditions) really help avoid rot in the middle of winter; if there is sufficient sunlight however, that dormant period may only be a period of weeks rather than months, the obligate rather than facultative dormancy that they absolutely need and then can grow the rest of the year without pause.
    Nimbulan: it would seem there is a large umber of plants that have been widely thought to be actually registered cultivars that simply are not, and that's come to my notice several times recently. First was N. "Rebecca Soper" which is incredibly common now but was never an official name, now "Daina's Delight" which I often see reputable nurseries label in cultivar terms, but I cannot find the registration data either (whether published with the CPN or not, the ICPS would have a registry record if it had been); this is unfortunately somewhat dangerous because it means anyone could technically take another plant, entirely different or very similar it would not matter, and register it officially under the same name and by ICRA rules that one would be the correct bearer of the name and the common ones we know now by the name would have to be labeled differently. Or, conversely, someone could take the same plants and register them under the names and remove all credit from the original growers.
    I think Rebecca Soper and Daina's delight are both trademarked names though
    Last edited by SFLguy; 06-27-2016 at 12:25 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neither are trademark names; registry for that would also be noted as the name when sold by nurseries would have to have the "TM" symbol by the name and there would be a record of them being made trademark plants.
    And nimbulan: I regularly put locations in quotes, why is this an issue? It is additional information that is not a cultivar name....
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it can be confusing at times, especially as the quoted locations are generally abbreviated and can be difficult to match up to a map. For instance I recently bought a Nepenthes singalana "Tujuh" and have yet to figure out where that location actually is (assuming I'm not wrong and it's not actually a cultivar?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh oh. I started a debate. J.k.

Last edited by kjnorris918; 06-27-2016 at 07:26 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast