Informational! Informational!:  3
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sarracenia silwia, sylvia or silvia?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a number of definitions for "cultivar" and I think the most accurate is "A variety of a plant that has been created or selected intentionally and maintained through cultivation" which encompasses both naturally occurring cultivars like Sarracenia leucophylla 'Hurricane Creek White' as well as hybrids.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimbulan View Post
    There are a number of definitions for "cultivar" and I think the most accurate is "A variety of a plant that has been created or selected intentionally and maintained through cultivation" which encompasses both naturally occurring cultivars like Sarracenia leucophylla 'Hurricane Creek White' as well as hybrids.
    And that doesn't mention 'Registered' at all. There appears to be a widespread belief that a Registered cultivar is superior to one that is not. That like many widespread beliefs is pure bunkum.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing that says an unregistered plant is inferior to a registered one (there are registered plants that were better on the trash heap), but there's no safeguard with an unregistered plant against someone stealing the name out from under the originator of the name, and by the ICRA guidelines an unregistered name is not recognized (trademarks being a different story and a new mess altogether). Perhaps I should have made my wording more along the lines of: unless registered, the cultivar does not have an official name, just a marker that can still be used by anyone for any plant. It's still a "cultivated variety," but nothing to protect its recognition.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    Perhaps I should have made my wording more along the lines of: unless registered, the cultivar does not have an official name, just a marker that can still be used by anyone for any plant. It's still a "cultivated variety," but nothing to protect its recognition.
    Then you have to address the number of 'fakes' of registered cultivars that are in the hobby. Where's the protection there?
    Fred

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Traceability and knowledgeability, i.e. be able to find with ease the plant's origins that you are buying (reliable sellers generally know such info), and know what the cultivar you are buying actually looks like. There are a few imposters out there, but rarely do any of them actually manage to match the actual cultivar. The system in place is not perfect (and never will be to prevent attempted imposters), and that's where grower responsibility comes in.
    In the case that one does match, technically the cultivar name can be applied in many situations since cultivars are typically based on appearance and, to a lesser extent, particular parentages (many cultivar names are passed on via seeds due to this detail, or can be recreated as is stated explicitly in descriptions such as the one for S. 'Alucard').
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you're saying that the Registrant's stipulations on how the cultivar should be propagated are irrelevant. If it looks like it, it is it? Great protection there then.
    As for plant origins, please don't make me laugh. Nowadays there's serious money in many of the plants. If a lot money is changing hands then I'm afraid there will be/are so called 'reliable sellers' that really aren't.
    Conclusion:- The system is broken/doesn't work.
    Last edited by fredg; 07-22-2016 at 12:06 AM.
    Fred

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12