What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guiness book of Sarracenias

• Thread starter Flint
  • Start date
Lets keep a log of everyones record plants. I get asked alot how big something "can" get. I want to know the biggest we know of for different species. Just post your giants =o) .

well mine won't go in any books for size, they are all seedlings and juveniles, many to young to even identify.

My biggest plants are either pure purpera, or leucophylla x purpera.

My flava doudled its height this year and got to be a foot and 2 inches.

Very cool. I have a Formosa that is a foot tall and has many many pitchers. It looks like this creepy hand reaching out of the dirt for any unsuspecting bugs. =o)
My lleucophila (sp) is a little taller. They are not very old plants, but getting better all the time, thats what makes these plants so cool.

At the moment all mine are coming out of dormancy, developing flowers but last years S. flava pitchers were pretty impressive, a little over 25 inches, might get some larger ones this year! My psittacina has pitchers abot 7 inches long and looks great.

Chris.

Chris, where do you live again? DO I remember you having a greenhouse and pictures of it on Gardenweb?

Hey RamPuppy,

I live in Far Northern NSW Australia, Yes I have a Greenhouse (actually a shadehouse) but no I've never posted photo's on the web, not yet anyway.

Chris.

I wonder if warm nights (85deg) cause the hybrids to grow taller. Mine are about 20 inches on average when they are only 3 weeks out of dormancy. The pitchers are still closed.

My purpurea (pure mind you.) The largest pitcher on it is 1foot6inches long at this moment.And has a 2 inch diameter mouth on it!

nepenthes gracilis

Wow, how old is your purpurea, I thought that they stayed alot smaller.

I am not sure. Because it is in a natural bog my family owns so that clearly means that it is mine! I am so lucky
smile.gif
I do know it must have been there for a long time however.

nepenthes gracilis

Yes you are very lucky, I have to BUILD my bogs. LOL :biggrin: . Does anyone know how tall Judith Hindle gets??

Not sure. i thought it was about as tall as S. Minor.

I have an alata which is producing its autumn pitchers now but its summer one were virging on 2 feet tall. I had to build a little can support around it as the ammount of prey in it was bending the pitchers!

I have you all beat, My S. Purpurea has a pitcher thats a whole 4 inches!!!!!
I'd like to see someone beat that!!!
lol I'm just kidding, just trying to give my plants some pride.

I don't think that cuts it with my 1 foot 6 incher out in the bog Porsch Guy! Nep.G.

my leucoxrubra is currently 36". I had a flavaxalata which was over 40" this summer but has now died back.

Back