What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarrs and dars by leaf cuttings?

hi, i borowed the book "cultivating carnivorous plants" by alan a swenson from the library (that i volunteer at&#33
wink.gif
and he mentions growing sarrs and dars from leaf cuttings and getting 35-50% success is this posible (any body tried it)

I have tried a S. purpurea leaf cutting and did get the cutting to root. After about 4 months, those roots died and the leaf is now dead. Sarracenia does not seem to want to reporduce by leaf cuttings. A better method would be to divide the rhizome, making sure each section has a root system.

I have grown from leaf, but it had the tiniest sliver of rhizome attached which seems essential for success.

psittacina and purps are supposed to be the most likely to take to this treatment but I have never tried it. I have heard that many of the hybrids with psittacina also have a good chance of aquirint this trait so...

I've had success with it. I've never purposely have tried it. I've been pulling weeds out, and once in a great while, I'll pull a pitcher out with the weeds. If it still has even the smallest bit of rhizome attached and at least 1 root, I've just stuck them back in the soil and they never died. I've done it with some hybrids and, most recently, an alata.

so it needs to be a leaf\bud cutting then? (alan should have mentioned that) .

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (pond boy @ Aug. 26 2003,6:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">so it needs to be a leaf\bud cutting then? (alan should have mentioned that) .[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
just make sure there is a bit of the whitish base on the leaf
smile.gif

can you make a darlingtonia cutting though?

Back