What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long do I have to wait?

Being the impatient type, I was just wondering how long it will take my sarrs to produce mature pitchers. I planted the rhizomes last Thurs., April 4th. It's not too warm yet here in OK. The days have been 65-75 degrees F. We're also experiencing our annual round of spring storms, so it's been and will be cloudy for a few days out of each week. Oh yeah, I have S. flava, S. leucophylla and a flava leuco hybrid. If anyone has a guess I would appreciate it.
Buckmaster

I really dont know, but I'm sure it will be a nice plant because you planted it on my birthday. :biggrin:

Sorry...

(Edited by Parasuco at 1:59 pm on April 10, 2002)

I'm in Missouri, and I keep mine in pots outside, almost year-round. All of my mature plants have flower stalks, anywhere from 1/2 to 8 inches tall at the moment. A couple have sent up pitchers as well, but the longest is only about 2 inches long, and has a long way to go before it even opens. Just be patient. Warmer weather has finally seemed to settle into our part of the country. I would say by mid-May things should really be hopping. It takes a while for them to break out of their sleep, but once they do, they grow pitchers pretty quick.

Well you just planted the rhizomes....
First there will be root stress, though not great due to the plants just coming out or still in dormancy, never the less it takes time for Sarracenia to acclimate to their new containers.  Sarracenia do not like stress or shock and can take a long time to produce fully formed pitchers that are not deformed, and look good.
Maybe you will see some in mid to late May, most likely later this summer with the plant not fully acclimated and growing normal until next spring.
Remember the average Sarracenia produces about 10 leaves per plant per year, this is a average and can be slightly higer with multi growth points.
This is also with a good growing environment (humidity, light, & temp).  You can witness some really funky pitchers coming forth without the proper climate for awhile.  Also S. leucophylla & its hybrids really don't throw out the best pitchers until late summer into the early winter. They do produce many spear shaped phyllodia leaves without a pitcher at all, very true when stressed such as in a drought, high heat, or root shock.
These guys can and will take there time, I know none of us like that.
If its a plant from a area much different than your local climate it will be harsh.  If its a field collected plant it will be a year or more.
Mike
St. Petersburg Florida

I planted 3 rhizomes 3 weeks ago. One immediately grew a flower stalk which is about 8" tall. The other two have just started to grow a phyllodia each, now 1/2" big.

Back