What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need some advice for a failing Sarracenia hybrid....parentage unknown, but along the lines of S. leucophylla x purpurea. The plant is a mature plant that I have had for 3-4 years and has been growing fantastically over this period. It has flowered each spring and puts on good sized pitchers and has two large growth points and two smaller ones. Earlier this week I gasped as I noticed that all the pitchers from one of the growth points had collapsed and dried dead. Not browning as a pitcher senesces, but dried maintaining all colour. The pitchers also dried from the older ones to the new emerging pitchers. The new pitchers today have now started to collapse. What is this? Is it rhizome rot? And if so what causes it....fungal, bacterial? If I cut away the infected growth point can I expect the other growth point to survive? Will it spread to other plants? I am all for chemical control. I hope someone can give some advice. The plant has not been disturbed for some time. It was repotted two years ago. This plant is growing here in Auckland, NZ and so is experiencing autumnal conditions within a greenhouse.

Kind regards
Quinn

Can you tell if some small pest is attacking your growth point? Scale? mites? anything?

If you suspect it is fungal, drench the sucker in cleary's 3336, that stuff is super powerful and will end a fungal infection...

for a pest, you can try swabbing wintergreen alchol on them with a q-tim, or if you want to spray, mix wintergreen alchol with 50 % water and a few drops of soap to make it stick, I hve wiped out entire aphid colonies with this.

If the rhizome is indeed rotting, your gonna have to do surgery, and treat the wound with clearys to prevent more damage from fungus.

you can tell if the rhizome is rotten by pressing on it, firm is good, soft squishy, with a nasty smell coming out is of course, bad.
smile.gif

Good luck.

What is wintergreen alchohol? Is that like isopropyl?

It sounds like the crown is rotting. The only thing to do is cut away all the rotted rhizome and hope that there is something left. You can follow with a fungicide soaking but don't forget, cut away the rotted area until you reach white rhizome.
imduff

Well just an update. I did uproot the plant and began to look around at the rhizome. There are no pests in the soil, but the rhizome was a wee bit squishy at one end - dark brown and soft. So cutting back into the rhizome showed brown quite a fair bit back, but the confusing bit is that it wasn't all the way to the crown where the leaves are emerging from. It stopped about one inch from the growth point. I guess that it is a fungal or bacterial disease and I have applied a fungicide after cutting all the diseased rhizome out. From others I have gathered that this occurs every now and then and is not the precursor for all my plants to get it. The thing that gets me is that this plants was such an active grower, very healthy (or so I thought&#33
wink.gif
. Do other growers routinely use a fungicide on their plants?

Thanks for your comments.
Quinn

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (swords @ Mar. 17 2003,11:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What is wintergreen alchohol? Is that like isopropyl?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Swords,

Yup, wintergreen alcohol is basically isopropyl that's green and minty.
wink.gif
Kind of like gum, only alcohol and not gum.

Back