Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Darlingtonia experiment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (0zzy @ May 28 2003,03:07)
    Runners?

I really haven't thought much about that. I've just planted it, and it's in a big cooler so it has plenty of room to grow. I can check pretty often for runners, all I have to do is to pick up the lid of the cooler and if I find any I can modify the top of the cooler to let the runner grow.[/QUOTE]
    Then the only other issue I can think of is condensation/fungus.

Steve
    I'd rather have a butterwort in front of me than a...wait, ummm...I'll come up with something...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I generally don't have to worry about it. So far this year, my mom and dad (where all my gardens are out on our ranch) have had 4 armadillos, 2 squirrels, 3 jackrabbits, and even a grackle laid reverently on their doorstep by the dogs, who sit and wait until someone comes out and pets them on the head and gives'em an 'atta-boy' for protecting the family's crops. heck, our new puppy, Daisy, which I am currently very unhappy with for being a pest herself, has taken to eating grasshoppers in her spare time... so she is proving to be, as cyrus the virus said, 'a very useful mammal.'.

But regardless, open and shut case, people have the right to deal with pests as they see fit, and comparing a child to an animal with a brain the size of a jelly bean is quite invalid. So, while we all love animals and so on and so forth, everyone has the right, within the law, to do as they see fit, and no one here has the right to tell someone what to and what not to do... something to think about.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to be a stick in the mud and tell you all that I think you are going into way too much effort for your Darlings. I live in Atlanta and grow my Darlings outside year round on my patio with no real special treatment. My media is LFSerlite top dressed with live sphag, I potted the plants in 7" white clay pots and stuck them in old dog bowls. I keep 2-3" of water in the dog bowl and every couple days I go out and suck some water out of the tray and squirt it around the crown of the plant to drain through the pot. I guess this could meet with Schnell's theory about aeration, personally I think it is just the occasional flow of water that makes the difference. It is nice, simple, easy and takes a minimum of effort.

Just my thoughts though
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Pyro, I grow my darlingtonias just like Sarracenia but with a top dressing of sphagnum, and they grow like weeds!.

ps whats a grackle?
    Stephen
    Sarracenia rosea?...don't be ridiculous!

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (0zzy @ May 28 2003,03:06)
    So does this mean that I have your support in shooting the kids? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rolleyes.gif[/img][/QUOTE]
    Hmmm... depends on what they do! Tresspass: yell at them/complain to parents. Harm cps in any way: shoot!!! LOL!!!
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (gardenofeden @ May 28 2003,3:23)
    ps whats a grackle?[/QUOTE]
    Grackles are bird, related to starlings and just as obnoxious. They get their name from their call.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are a plauge, they will roost twice a year in texas, in flocks of thousands (migration I assume).

If you drive your car under a group of them, be prepared to have it change to a salt and pepper color all over... it's like a sheeting action (no pun intended (say it out loud... I am so bad) NO KIDDING...

Clean black truck, park under tree, grackles land, dirty white truck.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh ye demigods of CP growing, who have Darlingtonias grow like weeds, may i, a simple CP-growing peasant, ask a question?

My lone darling is very small, and under bright fluorescents. On a periodic basis, one of the pitchers will turn purplish around a spot, and at that spot a white dusty (mold?) substance will appear, which i, of course, wipe away as best as possible. Is this a regular occurence with Darlings, or am i doing something wrong? The humidity is usually less than 60%, but the air is very still.

I appreciate any morsel of wisdom you see fit to send down to Earth.
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

9. Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast