What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia experiment

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (0zzy @ May 28 2003,03:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So does this mean that I have your support in shooting the kids?
rolleyes.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hmmm... depends on what they do! Tresspass: yell at them/complain to parents. Harm cps in any way: shoot!!! LOL!!!
tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (gardenofeden @ May 28 2003,3:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ps whats a grackle?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Grackles are bird, related to starlings and just as obnoxious. They get their name from their call.

They are a plauge, they will roost twice a year in texas, in flocks of thousands (migration I assume).

If you drive your car under a group of them, be prepared to have it change to a salt and pepper color all over... it's like a sheeting action (no pun intended (say it out loud... I am so bad) NO KIDDING...

Clean black truck, park under tree, grackles land, dirty white truck.

Oh ye demigods of CP growing, who have Darlingtonias grow like weeds, may i, a simple CP-growing peasant, ask a question?

My lone darling is very small, and under bright fluorescents. On a periodic basis, one of the pitchers will turn purplish around a spot, and at that spot a white dusty (mold?) substance will appear, which i, of course, wipe away as best as possible. Is this a regular occurence with Darlings, or am i doing something wrong? The humidity is usually less than 60%, but the air is very still.

I appreciate any morsel of wisdom you see fit to send down to Earth.

I agree with you D muscipula and I'll join you in bowing to the Darlingtonia gods.

Some people here says treat them just like your Sarracenia and they will grow fine. Every time I do that they die. Some things work great for some people and the same thing will fail for others. So you have to do what works for you. Same thing with vft's You have to find the way that you can grow them the best with the conditions that you have.

I try to grow my Darlingtonia outside so they get plenty of vetilatoin so I don't have the problem of mold.

I said that I would keep you updated on how this experiment goes.

I've encountered my first problem. Friday night and all day Saturday it rained alot. Since the cooler is made from styrofoam it "floated" right out of the ground. I guess it didn't help that I had the drain hole under the cooler filled with perlite. I redug it today and I'll try again. If it happens again I think I'll remove the perlite and put in silica pebbles so that it's less force pushing up on the cooler.

I'll keep you updated.

Along the lines of these experiments, has anyone ever tried planting Darlingtonia in those green foam planting blocks and then floating them in water. Since Darlingtonia is often said to grow with its roots into streams, I thought this might provide a way of having it in substrate and being able to directly manipulate the water it's in (ie aerate with a pump, cool with ice or an aquarium chiller). Just wanted to see if it had already been attempted before trying it myself.

any updates . when i get a darlingtonia i plan on growing it in an orchid basket with water pumping through it keeping things nice and cool .

Perhaps walling off a water section and having a small HOB filter pouring water back would do the trick. That would simulate a stream.

Back