Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Darlingtonia experiment

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few weeks ago I came up with an idea that I think will keep the roots cool on Darlingtonias in almost any weather. I bought a cheap $3 stryofoam cooler. It's aprx. 2 ft long x 1 foot wide and 2 ft deep. I punched small drain holes in the bottom. Filled it up with soil and planted the darlingtonia in it. Then I dug a hole big enough for the whole cooler to fit in. I dug it a little deeper so that it will have a small area that the water can drain from the cooler. I filled up the the small area with perlite, Then I set the cooler down in the hole. Our soil here is mostly clay, so I filled in around the cooler with the clay. I then took the cooler top, punched a hole big enough for the plant, then placed it upside down over the plant. Then I put soil over the top. So the plant is totally encased in this cooler except for where the traps grow out. I think this will even keep the roots warm in the winter.
    I placed this in an area that get morning sun and bright shade the rest of the day.

I've had this idea for a while but I didn't plan on trying it for a while. But thanks to Nickhubbel for giving me the darlingtonia yesterday, I'm going to try it and see if it works.

Has anybody ever tried this or does anybody see any potential problems?

I'll keep everyone up to date on this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems fine to me. Sounds like a gret idea! I think I may use that when I build my bog garden next spring [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] ! Thanks,
    Kevin

Oh, keep us updated!
    Kevin Peterson
    Grosse Pointe, MI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i thought you we're going to use distilled ice cubes in this experiment?

(by the way, when i got home last night, my cobra lilly was totally uprooted again, lfs all over the driveway. i'm bringing this plant back indoors. tired of repotting it everyday&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

peace,
    technoracer
    Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
    Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well on hot days I plan to freeze some water and turn it upside down ofer the plants so it'll drip cold water on it. But I may not even need to do that judgeing by how cold the clay was when I dug the hole. I'll see how that goes when summer gets here.

Sounds like it's time to try that bb gun idea you had. Or you could get a cat that loves to murder birds. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

Don't be shooting birds!!! Find some other way to repel them!
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Techno, remeber what I told you about the squirrel war. Looks like we're starting a bird war.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my idea for keeping the roots cool. The Darlingtonia are potted or planted directly into a large bog container. The container has a hole cut in the side about 1/2 way down to allow a hose to be inserted. This hose will act as a return water line. On the other side of the container, either a higher hole is made for a water supply line, or the hose is simply placed over the side of the container. Under the table is container that will hold several gallons of water. This will be the water supply. A pump will then be used to circulate the water into the bog. As cooler water is pumped to the surface of the bog, the warmer water will be drained through the hose on the opposite end of the bog container. All the workings under the table should be enclosed with some sort of curtain. This will help keep the water supply cool.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    Nick

Careful where you crawl, it might be a trap!

http://www.carnivorium.com
    http://www.buckeyecarnivores.com

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read in Don Schnell's book Carnivorous plants ot the United States and Canada, aeration may be more important than temperature.
    Heat to the roots will kill this plant but it can tolerate higher temps if there is running water, But it will produce smaller and fewers pitchers.
    I like your idea, I'm sure it will work.
    I'm trying to find a cheap and low maintance way to grow them. Your idea is really nice because you won't have to water them evey day like I'm going to have to do with mine.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast