What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ant problem in house are sarracenias the answer?

Right now my house has come under infestation of ants
mad.gif
what i need to now is will my sac be able to survive if i put him in a peble tray on a counter with household humidity? i live in MI so it gets pretty humid but am i safe taking it out of the confort of its bog? please let me know aswell if any other Cps can help

My sarrecenia do okay in pots on the windowsill. It may take a while to adjust to the new conditions, though. I don't know how well they'll work on the ants, but it can't hurt to try!

Neps and Sarrs do a great job with ants. However, there came a time when the tables were turned - one of my S.x courtii seemed to be doing very badly, and after removing the plant from the pot I saw the root of the problem, literally. The ants had decided that Sarr roots made great homes, and may have been disturbing the plant. No such problems for the really good ant-catchers though, like S.rubra ssp. gulfensis and S.leucophylla.

In my experiences, if you want to get rid of ants fast, buy some of those ant killer baits. They're little plastic square things with some poison inside. Just put a few outside your house, near where they come in. They should be gone in no time.

E-gad....just thought of something....Don't do both! If you do, your plants might end up eating poisoned ants....don't know what that might do to them.
confused.gif

Just a paniced, paranoid notion of mine....
rolleyes.gif

Another suggestion would be to get a sundew fer those ants! My brilliant mind thought of this because, if you think about it, the chance that the sundew will catch the ants is much higher than if you used a pitcher plant. Because, with a pitcher plant, the ants have the choice of crawling all over the plant and never entering the pitchers instead of entering the pitchers and drowning, while, with a sundew, all the ants have to do is touch the plant and voila! Stuck and being eaten! In turn, there is only a 33.3% chance that the pitcher plant will catch the ants, while there is a 50% chance that the sundew will catch the ants. Did all that make sense??? You're probably all staring at me like ''Whaa?''

Hope all my intelligent talk helps,
smile.gif
FTG the mastermind

ORR you could use sticky paper stuff.

flytrapgirl: have you ever taken a dew or a sarr and put them in the middle of a BIG ant hill? all the ants SWARM around them. its really cool. afterwards the pitchers arre really full and your new is black. its really neat to see.

No, i won't use traps and cps together. the sundew idea intriges me though, maybe i should try a sundew, i have about a million of them

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (JustLikeAPill @ June 17 2003,03:48 )</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">flytrapgirl: have you ever taken a dew or a sarr and put them in the middle of a BIG ant hill? all the ants SWARM around them. its really cool. afterwards the pitchers arre really full and your new is black. its really neat to see.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Oooooo.... good idea!!! I'll try that...

***neighbors stare, shaking their heads as they watch FTG pick through the grass in her front yard, on her hands and knees, looking for anthills***

If you really just want to get rid of the ants in the house, then Sarracenia is right. Get the ant discs. I suspect they are boric acid like you use for roaches. The deal is the stuff sticks to the ants and they carry it back to their "home" where it kills the other ants. I had a terrible problem with little black ants in my pantry once and the little black ant discs did wonders. Never saw a one after that. (And let me tell you those little buggers have dirty feet because they left black trails EVERYWHERE). Ugh.

Using a CP, you might catch a few ants but you won't stop the ant problem any more than setting out flytraps will get rid of all your flies. If you are concerned about relocating your CPs and the impact, then I wouldn't risk it.

My 2 cents.
smile.gif

Suzanne

Guys, A true handyman will use.............Duct Tape (Ducktape).  It is the all purpose handymans tool.  A barrier of duct tape (sticky side out) will stop the little beasts in their tracks.  Ha! Red Green hasn't even thought of this one! When your hot your hot!

biggrin.gif

alien.gif

Use ant bait poison.  That will kill the queen and eliminate the source of the ants that are the problem.

Back