Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Curving pitcher

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just went out and took a look at the plants in my new microbog. I noticed that one new pitcher is curved over (sort of like an upside-down "J" ). It is an s. leucophylla. I bought it somewhat late last summer. It only had 2 pitchers on it. This is its first new pitcher of the spring and is about 10" tall but very very thin. It isn't limp...just curved over. My other sarra (unidentified) is pitchering quite nicely with about 6 new pitchers and one just opened fully. They are in full sun most of the day. We have had a LOT of rain over the past few days (thank god, we need it) so the bog is very wet.

Is this a sign of a health problem? Or do they just occasionally throw an odd shaped pitcher? I don't have that many sarras (yet) so I'm not that experienced with them. My 'unidentified' and s. purpureas did fine last year and are doing well so far this spring.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Suzanne

(Edited by PlantAKiss at 11:52 pm on May 9, 2002)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Suzanne,
    leucos do this quite regularly that it seems a normal embryo pitcher grows then suddenly curves over backwards to form a 'winter leaf' or phyllodia.

It should throw a new pitcher up with the next leaf, however if it does not, wait until late Summer or early Autumn then it will send a pitcher up for sure and usually a very impressive one.

I have a large plant of a giant purple & white leuco from North Florida which did exactly what yours is doing now with no summer pitchers at all, but in the Autumn, some of the largest pitchers imaginable! (L19 on gallery page on my website)

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mike

Thanks for the info. But you know what I discovered? I went out the next day and it was totally upright again. Then the next night I went out late and it was curved over again. Checked it about an hour later and it was upright with just a bit of a hook at the top. So...I've been keeping my eye on it at various times and its constantly changing position. This morning it was at half mast.

What causes it to do that? Temperature? Humidity? I thought maybe it was the very high humidity we've been having at night (due to lots of thunderstorms and rain). But during the same night to go from curved to upright in about an hour or so? I THOUGHT this was a pitcher...it is isn't flat and I thought phyllodia are flat. But I could be quite mistake about that. Its just odd that every time I look at it, it seems to be in a different position.

Thanks Mike. :-)

suzanne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Suzanne,
    I got the direction of the bend wrong! OK, some alatas and leucos do this, but for me always straighten up when it is time for the pitcher to inflate and pop open. There are possible reasons; water level, humidity, light. The hormones in the new leaf also respond to things like light and gravity so the pitcher grows vertically.. Lets see what happens to your new pitcher!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suzanne,

I had something similar happening with my S. excellens and Mike suggested that I make sure the media was well packed around the plant. I am guessing that that might also apply here (not to presume too much and giving full credit to Mike.)

Pyro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Pyro, Hi Suzanne,
    Thanks for reminding me of that possible cause, I am happy for you Pyro that your plant sounds like it is doing OK now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My... Tall pitcher plant, dunno what yet, itsn all green so far tho... has a baby pitcher (actually, that is tinted red, but is getting lighter as it grows) is slightly curved backward (like someone broke its spine), but just near the top. I THINK that it is straightening, or else it just appears to be less as it gets taller... Is THIS normal?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Parasuco,
    Yes, its normal!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast