What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black spots on pitchers

• Thread starter Stefano1
  • Start date
its a 5 gallon man, i looked for flourescents for my 10 gallon. and i couldnt find, i looked for 5 gallon, NONE

so how am i supposed to get flourescents for such a small tank, and one more thing, on the sides, last ngiht the lowest temps was around 68, but on thing, there is no fog on the sides, is there suposed to be fog? since i have 1 1/2" of water on the botom for humidity, there is none at all, what the heck?? :confused:

and i turn the ican on at 6:30 am, and my mom turned it off at 1 pm, before she went to work, and in the afternoon my room gets light and the tank has indirect sunlight all afternoon, so i think its good, but what the heck is up with no fog or humdity on the sides?
confused.gif

I wouldn't worry about condensation on the inside. You will only see that if the humidity inside is 100% which is not necessary. If there was not enough humidity the plants would shrivel up within hours. Since they havn't you don't need to worry about humidity.
T

well they arnt shrivled but they are all brown/black

no green at all, tony what do you do to take care of them? i think i killed them becuase of root rot, i sat them in water, how am i supposed to tell if they are shrivled up or not? i looked and they are just brown, and i stuck my hand inside and since i misted around, i feel the humidity on my hand,

Umm I don't think you need to worry if they are shriveled because of lack of humidity. Trust me when you take a Heliamphora and toss it into an atomosphere that it is too dry and doesn't have a good enough root system to keep up with water intake. You will know! They turn to dry crispy prunes within hours.

Sounds like they have died .. maybe from disease, maybe from culture. Heliamphora are kinda like that sometimes.. They just die.

My Heliamphora get overhead watering every couple days or so with plenty of bright light. Temperature I try and keep under 85 during the day and 60-65 at night. They are in a very loose mix that drains well and lets in plenty of air.
Tony

any chance they will come back? do you think it was disease because i had it in standing water all the time? thanks tony, i hoipe itll grow agian

Unlikely they will come back if even the newest leaf is brown. Hard to say exactly what caused from descriptions on a message board. But if I were to make a guess I would say a combination of too wet and too warm and not enough air circulation.. which caused some sort of fungal attack.
T

I got my small flouresent tube from a fish shop. They had loads of different sizes, mine's about 15cm long.
Sorry about your Heliamphora's, I have two babys and they're real hard to care for, mine are clinging on to life - but only just!!
Rosie

Back