Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Black spots on pitchers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your right about refridgerators removing humidity. I am not sure about putting them in a bag and setting the temperature at 60. Might be worth a try .. Your still going to have a problem with air circulation which could be the bigger cause of disease problems.
    T

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well tony, me and jaie were talking and we got this great idea, i got my 5 gallon tank, and i filled it about 1 1/2" of distilled water on the bottom, and then i put the holder and i put the 2 pots on top, so the water can provide humidity, and the top is 1 25W incan bulb, its a small tank, and its about 5-6" frm the top of the pot to the light, and what i can do is at night i take 2 small gatorade bottles that are frozen, and stick em in the water when i goto sleep, and itll make the water cool and the humid cool and the tank cool. and since the 25W will be on at about 6:30 am to about 9:30 pm itll be good, and i placed it on my nightstand, and my west facing window gets about 3-4 hrs in direct sunlight in the after noon. i think this set up will work, and the cover that as the light has a lid that opens and closes, and we cut a hole in the lid so i could fit the fish filter in there before, so the hole now will be a circulation. hopefully they will come back, i surrounded the crown with LFS to support the pitchers and the crown, i hope this set up works, please say any comments i have to fix, maybe about the 5-6" of the top of the plants to the light may be bad? please make any remarks on which to fix and if you think itll work out [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you mean by putting the plants into the sun? Did you take them outside in direct sunlight to get hot and dry?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The heliamphora will have a good chance of coming back if it does not have a rotted root system.

And about the lighting...do not use incandescant light bulbs. Plants need to be placed very close to these lights for good growth and when they are placed very close the excessive heat from the bulb can fry the plant. Use flourescent light bulbs instead as they generate little heat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its a 5 gallon man, i looked for flourescents for my 10 gallon. and i couldnt find, i looked for 5 gallon, NONE

so how am i supposed to get flourescents for such a small tank, and one more thing, on the sides, last ngiht the lowest temps was around 68, but on thing, there is no fog on the sides, is there suposed to be fog? since i have 1 1/2" of water on the botom for humidity, there is none at all, what the heck?? :confused:

and i turn the ican on at 6:30 am, and my mom turned it off at 1 pm, before she went to work, and in the afternoon my room gets light and the tank has indirect sunlight all afternoon, so i think its good, but what the heck is up with no fog or humdity on the sides?[img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't worry about condensation on the inside. You will only see that if the humidity inside is 100% which is not necessary. If there was not enough humidity the plants would shrivel up within hours. Since they havn't you don't need to worry about humidity.
    T

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well they arnt shrivled but they are all brown/black

no green at all, tony what do you do to take care of them? i think i killed them becuase of root rot, i sat them in water, how am i supposed to tell if they are shrivled up or not? i looked and they are just brown, and i stuck my hand inside and since i misted around, i feel the humidity on my hand,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umm I don't think you need to worry if they are shriveled because of lack of humidity. Trust me when you take a Heliamphora and toss it into an atomosphere that it is too dry and doesn't have a good enough root system to keep up with water intake. You will know! They turn to dry crispy prunes within hours.

Sounds like they have died .. maybe from disease, maybe from culture. Heliamphora are kinda like that sometimes.. They just die.

My Heliamphora get overhead watering every couple days or so with plenty of bright light. Temperature I try and keep under 85 during the day and 60-65 at night. They are in a very loose mix that drains well and lets in plenty of air.
    Tony

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast