What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia

I have my darlingtonia outside permanently and it was in its own pot in water. this spring I built a mini bog and put it in there although to contain it a bit I kept it submerged in its own pot. It threw up the two biggest pitchers yet (6") and now all of the pitchers are going a pretty yet unhealthy looking rust brown and dying off from the hood down. In its own pot it is in live sphagnum in a 5" pot. It gets overhead water twice a day to keep the roots cool.

Have I done something aweful to it or should I remove it from the pot cos its too cramped and let it run wild???
confused.gif

Well. Maybe theres too much water building up? I dunno. Umm... Is the ground too hot? Running water is one thing. Itswhatits used to. But that doesnt nescassarily keep the roots cool unless the water is cool...

It was used to standing in another undraining pot of water but now its submerged in the soil of my bog but only level to the lower rim of the pot so it don't creep. This summer is being a bit warm over here but I'm sure it don't need ice cubes yet! I would just like to rescue it before it goes completely on me!

Just a thought... is the plant in a new location where it's getting more sunlight than before? it might be burning in it's new location. I moved mine from the top of my steps (13 steps up to my front door) down to the bottom cos I noticed the bottom of the stairs gets more direct sun for more of the day and I though it would like it there better. It became unhappy real fast drying out on top and making much smaller pitchers. Needless to say it's back in it's original place and doing much better!
smile.gif

Also, I dunno if it makes a whole lot of difference in the grand scheme of things but I use white pots outside because white supposedly repells heat and black absorbs it. These guys hate warm roots so I thought perhaps this would be best.

good luck!

It could be a couple of things it is possibly burning or just old pitchers or it could be just in shock of being moved to a different area. Is it getting full or partial lighting? My personal opinion is that they do pretty well in partially shaded areas. I don't think it has to do with it being in a pot, but just needs to get adjusted to its new surroundings they for some reason a very touchy on being moved
confused.gif

How long have you had it?

the same weird thing happened with my darlingtonia

i have no clue why, it was doing really great

but the only thing i can think of is when you watered it was it with refrigerated distiled water?

other that that i have no clue

It does get a little more sun but not much. Should I remove it somewhere shaded then to give it a bit more chance?

I would give it some shade and see if it perks up. If you have some tall decorative grass-type plants you could set next to it that would cast a dappled shadow you may be able to leave it where it is.
As I said I moved mine to a sunnier spot and it started browning and making smaller pitchers so I moved it back to it's original "bright shade" location and it started making bigger pitchers and not browning.

I have had my Cobra Lily for a few days now. It came with about 15 or so pitchers on it. All about 6"(inches) high. I have kept it under a growlight and it has been doing great. No wilting or anything. It is incandescent. I know flourescent it better but I have had great success using incandescent on aquatic plants I wanted to try this and everything it great. With my flytraps(3, two regular, one Dente) and Sundew(D.Adelae). They all love it. My traps are red. I don't really know what to say about your Cobra Lily. Just give it less Direct Sunlight.

Back