Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are heliamdhoras safe for froggies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOs Angels Traphole,

Nepenthes are fine with frogs. I have a couple that I occasionaly find hunting bugs from inside a pitcher.

The only nepenthes I think would be a problem with frogs are N. bicalcarata & hamata

Hamata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm... I was thinking N. Ampullaria because of the deep overhung peristome(as far as little vents and stuff are concerned anyway). Why do you say N. bical?

Joe
    Signature.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    joseph, i think its because bicals have fangs. they are really sharp so i would think theres a chance for damaging the frog.

oh yeah bicals also can reach 4-6 feet in diameter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

Pill, are bicalcarata really 4-6'? I've seen pictures of this plants, they're just soooo cool. I'd like to see pictures from anyone that grows this plants and I'd like info about how to keep them happy for years. Thanx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saladshooter, ********** might have a few Heliamphora left, call the 1800 number and find out. I think they are heterodoxa x minor, but not sure.

I was thinking about putting dart frogs in my terrarium, but ended up with the conclusion I didn't want to deal with their waste in the tank, and I thought, as some of you have, it would really suck if one tried to hang out in my Bical. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The waste isn't a problem. Most PDF tanks have false bottoms. If for some reason you feel the tank needs cleaning just spray down the inside with clean RO type water while the drain line is opened into a bucket. Really I've never had to do this yet.

Sharp fangs....hmm..I just thought they were for looks. I should have one by thursday, guess it's going in the greenhouse instead of with the froggies.

joe
    Signature.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Description: A large and unusual species from the peat swamps of northwestern Borneo. The sturdy pitchers bear two fangs which protrude from beneath the lid, giving this plant a fearsome appearance. The purpose of these fangs is questionable, but may serve to guide nectar-seeking insects directly over the pitcher mouth where they can easily fall into the fluid below. This species plays host to a symbiotic species of ant which make their nests in the hollow tendrils and are able to swim in the pitcher fluid to retrieve dead insects.
    Cultivation recommendations: Requires warmth and plenty of space for growth. Leaves can attain lengths of nearly one meter. Although plants are occasionally found in waterlogged habitats, a well-drained media is recommended in cultivation.

thats from malaysian tropicals. everynow and then you hear about ones that are 4 plus feet wide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone was selling a bical that was 4' diameter (IIRC) here not long ago. Had it in a shower stall. Mine's much smaller - it you want pics, LAT, look at the pinned nep pic thread, i put a couple there.

Wildbill has a frog that wanders around in his CP terrarium, randomly tracking gemmae around and such. Also has guppies living in the bottom of it, if you can believe that!
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast