What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Premature pitchers

vft guy in SJ

VFT and Drosera lover
Last week I repotted my Judith Hindle from the 4 inch square pot I got it in to a 6 inch. I reused all of the original soil intact, simply moving the entire plant in one bug clump into its new pot. Today I noticed that all of the young pitchers that were growing on it have opened up.
sad.gif
Is this a common problem when repotting? The plant still looks very strong and has several more shoots comming off the base so I'm not too worried, but I am pretty disappointed cause I really want to see what these pitchers look like when they are healthy and grow to their full size. I also recently moved the plant to a new location (my neighbors front deck) where it recieves about 4 more hours of sun in the afternoon. Is it possible the extra light caused the premature opening?  Any Ideas?

Thanks
Steve

NOBODY has any ideas on this one??
sad.gif

Steve

I'd just chalk it up to a change in location and getting used to the new pot. It'll be fine. Sometimes i've noticed small pitchers popping up before an active growth explosion. Besides, so far i've seen that not all pitchers on the plants are huge, some stay small, some get large.

If you recently got it from PFT, I wouldn't worry about it. Usually, tissue-cultured plants will put up a bunch of juvenile pitchers for awhile. You may get some larger pitchers this year, but I'd wait 'til next year to expect any really nice ones.

its quite normal , i think it has somthing with growth points and shock . my s. alata does that soemtimes .

Back