Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My opinion on milk

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok...this is just my humble opinion on the milk issue. I tried it...on my little heliamphora that has just FINALLY started growing and developing some heli-looking pitchers instead of those stick-like baby pitchers. I thought maybe the milk would give it a boost in growth. Well instead of a boost I now have a brown and dying pitcher. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img] I used a tiny drop of whole milk diluted a bit with distilled water. At first it looked OK, but then the top started browning...and now its browning ondown the pitcher. Oddly, the adjacent pitcher so far looks OK, but I'm watching to see if it follows suit.

I'm so upset at losing the very first heli-pitcher I've waited so long to get. Maybe I did something wrong but I think milk is off my list for a while.

Out of curiosity...anyone else tried milk with success?

I KNEW there was a reason I never drank milk after my mother took me off the bottle as a baby...it tastes like crap AND kills plants. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Suzanne
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Suzanne !

Did you drop the milk into the liquid of the pitcher or did it "touch" the leaf ? In this case funghi / mold could be the reason for your dieing pitcher.
    Another reason could be overfeeding.
    Milk is liquid and will break down extremly fast, much faster than an insect with the same size.
    I use low-fat milk (1,5%) and dilute it about 1:5 with water !
    From this I only use two or three drops for pitchers the size of about 5" !
    So maybe it was to much milk for a to small pitcher.

Watch your plant daily. If the "heart" will rot your plant is lost !

In my experience diluted milk is one of the best ways to feed Heliamphora.

Martin

PS : About "adult" pitchers. I'm growing a Heliamphora hispida for more than one year (a spezies which should build mature pitchers very fast) and it has about 20 juvenile but no single mature pitcher yet. A friend got a tiny Heliamphora from the Ilu tepui six(!) years ago and it devided several times but never produced an adult pitchers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not tried milk personally. I have also heard that the lowfat or skim milk is preferable as the fat in whole milk can cause problems. My Heliamphora get fertilized along with the rest of the plants with liquid feed. (VERY very dilute). I have also used freeze dried bloodworms but I have found that even a very little will cause the water in the pitcher to go moldy. So I don't do that anymore.

Martin.. my hispida I find are not increasing in size much and reluctant to form adult shaped pitchers as well. I need to fiddle around and see what is up with them as I have had good results with a number of other species.
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Martin [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

The milk was diluted with water but not a 1:5 ratio. And it was whole milk because I thought I read somewhere that whole milk was preferred (it might have been on that article you gave a link to in another post). Also it was a very small pitcher so maybe I shouldn't have tried it at all. The pitcher isnt entirely dead...oddly its browned above the liquid line...and yet the pitcher right next to it is, so far, fine.

If I try it again, I will follow those guidelines. As long as it can be beneficial to the plant, I would try it again.

Thanks Tony and Martin. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

suzanne
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whooops, your supposed to dilute it!!??! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img]

I tried to give my s. leucophylla a drip from the carton and gave it a full squirt instead. That was a 2 weeks ago and so far so good. It must have been real hungry!
    I have noticed 3 new phyllodia/pitchers(?) coming up in the past week. Probably coincidence. At this rate I'll kill the poor thing before Winter [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif[/img]
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is critical that milk added to a pitcher is only few percent (<5% I would say) of the total fluid in the pitcher. Diluting it or not does not make a difference when the percentage is the same. I do always spray the plants with water after feeding, so droplets out of the pitcher fluid are washed away. This works for me and I do it about once a month with my heliamphora. Be careful with fertilizers as I have spoken to people loosing their plants due to very small amounts of fertilizer.

Martin wrote:

Watch your plant daily. If the "heart" will rot your plant is lost !

Well, does it really matter when you do see that your plant is dying?? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

Joachim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Joachim !

"...Diluting it or not does not make a difference when the percentage is the same..."

Yes, but it is easier to add one drop of diluted milk than a fifths drop of undiluted milk.
    Especially for small pitchers one drop of pure milk is to much !

It also depends on the spezies. In my experience N. inermis is very sensitive to milk.

Martin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what is 1 drop, this is reeeeally, very innacurate with my thumb i can make drosp this big \__/ and with a toothpick i can make , so..... uh .... yeah how much is too much here.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast