What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Name that fungis

• Thread starter joseph
  • Start date
OK I just found this very agressive fungis on my sarra. It has grown to several inches up the plant in only a few hours. It is white and foamy and stinks. What is it, what does it do, and will cleary fungiside kill it???

thanks all
joe
fungis.jpg

looks like a spider web to me. touch it and see if it is.

Nope, This one is sort of foamy and disolves on contact with water.  My pet spider mite webs usually don't disolve when I spray them down, they are basically the same as a spiders web.  If these are mites there of a type I'm not familiar with.

thanks
joe

I'm trying to find it on the internet but not having much luck. Anyone know of a good site with pictures??

Thanks that does help. I was thinking slime Flux but it usually grows under bark.

Anybody know a good way to kill a slimer???

joe

Fantastic, a slime mold!! never seen one for real. they are almost animal-like in that they move quickly over substrates and organise themselves into structures for reproduction. I doubt it would harm the Sarracenia, watch and appreciate.

sorry gardenofeden, but it is human nature to destroy what we don't understand, and that thing was giving my sarra nightmares.

Im not sure if thats a slime mold, slime molds have several stages in thier life span, from spores, they are a dull yellow to clear color, I retained a slime mold before and watch it move, it looked like flubber
smile.gif
then the slime gets to its second stage or "flubber" stage, then they turn white and fuzzy and release thousands of thousands of spores, just my 2 cents
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Kevin (p.s. i would remove of it!!!!!!!!!!!, or remove and take a sample and watch ooze&#33
wink.gif

I showed it to a professor of plant pathology. She said it is a fungus, although she really couldn't say what kind without looking at it under a microscope, but it is most likely either Pythium, Rhizoctonia, or Phytopthora.

Well, better nuke the b@$tard then!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (joseph @ Dec. 13 2002,06:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OK I just found this very agressive fungis on my sarra.  It has grown to several inches up the plant in only a few hours. It is white and foamy and stinks.  What is it, what does it do, and will cleary fungiside kill it???

thanks all
joe
fungis.jpg
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
KILL IT! KILL IT NOW! Rubbing alcohol and a q-tip
wow.gif

I hope the professor isn't right. Pithium is one of the crown rot fungi. You'll wake up one day, the plant will look thirsty, then you'll notice that it has separated from the roots completely.

So thats what crown root fungis means. Thats sounds like one to fear.

anyway this plant is doing fine now, massive doses of clearly fungiside along with a couple of ortho products was enough to kill the fungis.

Unfortunately I did have a large Judith hindle die of some sort of black spot fungis shortly after this. The disease killed the plant faster than I would have thought or it died of shock.
Moment of silence.......

joe

Back