What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New plant shock

I recently purchased many sarracenia rhizomes from pft. I live in the Pacific Northwest, where the nights are still in the upper thirties to forties, daytimes are in the fifties to low sixties. Since these plants are grown in Texas, am I running a risk if I start them outside for right now? Will there be too great of a shock due to the climate change? If so, what suggestions are there to minimize the effects upon them?

Hi. keep your plants above freezing, acclimate them to light slowly, and they will probably do fine.

Light?! what light?! hehehe.... we won't have any sunlight up here for months
smile.gif
The sun has been penciled in on the 25th of June.

I live in Seattle, I just planted my new sarrecenias last night. I am going to leave them on the balcony during the day and bring them in at night for a week or so. After that I will leave them outside full time unless it freezes. Let me know how yours do, as I'm just learning this as well and would like to compare to other pnw growers.
Good luck!

Hello Brisco,

The sarracenia rhizomes from pft that I recieved are doing just fine outside. I have not noticed any negative effects so far, and the low temperatures have been in the lower 40's upper 30's.

Don't ride them too hard... if you expect a deep freeze just put them in your garage overnight, which I already know you'll do anyway.

later,

Homer

Back