Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6 weeks later, out of 33 cuttings:

29 immature leaves and pitchers
    3 mature pitchers
    1 mature leaf

5 immature leaves died, 1 immature leaf was broken in half by accident, the rest are all alive:

something of interest for those who like to learn more abut cephalotus propagation:

1/4 inch pitcher and a tiny ceph leaf with roots

[img]http://home.**********.com/agustinfranco/images/100_0032.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/alien.gif[/img]

I'll show you more interesting stuff in due time.

Agustin

Far too old to grow up now. Kate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I have a slightly related question.

I haven't heard of using rooting hormones with ceph cuttings and was wondering if a different technique applyed or would you just treat it the same way as any other cutting?
    I typo, therefore I edit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kate:

Yes, there are two schools regarding cephalotus reproduction. Some believe that cutting a leaf or a pitcher (preferably mature) and burying it in the same potting mix as the parent will give you a new plant. While this may be true, the frequency of propagation is very low. If you; however, do exactly the same thing with the help of rooting hormone, you are increasing your chances of getting new plants (therefore, i belong to the second school type).

Agustin Franco

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys,
    How long to you have to wait before you know whether or not your cutting was successful? I just got some last night, and used root-tone. They're about 6 or 8 inches from two flouresent lights...I have them in very high humidity, and warm....Does this sound satisfactory?
    Thanks for the input....
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dave -

I got a leaf cutting from John Phillip at the first NECPS meeting back in January. It took about 3 weeks to a month to see growth. Then, a few leaves, then a tiny little hairy green ball that developed into a trap. Very slow in growing, but I must be doing something right because now it has 6 traps!!!!

I just measured and the soil line is 5 1/2 inches from the fluorescent lights. It's in a very humid terrarium and gets about 17 hours of light. I water around the perimeter (yup, with that infamous mustard bottle) once a week.

Hope this helps.

WildBill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great. Suzy. Yes, it should be fine. just make sure they have a humid environment. Although, Summer time is not the best time to get cuttings, because the heat is merciless with them. I would wait until September (U.S. eastern coast) to do the cuttings. In my experience, hot season almost always kills the cuttings no matter how much humidity, light, and rooting hormone you use.

Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys!
    I do have a room in the house that's cooler...I could move the cuttings in there...it is almost always below 80 degrees...even on the HOTTEST days...usually closer to 70 down there...gotta love a cool basement.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12