Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus reproduction myths

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Dear all:

I would like to inform you that I have managed to grow a root from an immature cephalotus leaf. The leaf itself is no longer than 1 inch long and 1/16 inch in diameter. 1/8 inch roots are visible. This experiment shows that one can propagate from any type of leaf regardless the age. Also this goes against popular belief that only mature leves can produce new plants. I am also trying to propagate from 1/4 inch pitchers.

I don't know what is going to happen next. Theorically, if the leaf has a root, it is a new plant. How fragile or resistant will be to further environmental challenge is yet to be studied.

Gus/Agustin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's very interesting, Gus. I hadn't heard that immature ceph leaves wouldn't work for cuttings. One thing i've noticed is how quickly a large plant can be produced from a mature pitcher/leaf cutting. Considering how long my TC ceph has taken to get even moderate-sized pitchers, i was planning on waiting until it was full-grown before taking cuttings.

For example:

When i bought it (~June 2002-in 3" pot) Today (~June 2003- in 4-1/2" pot)

I'd say that's pretty slow...

In contrast, check out the size of this ceph, which was propagated via mature leaf cutting just a few months prior:

The pitchers are already much bigger than the pitchers on my plant. I would say that is a pretty compelling reason to avoid using immature leaves.
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear D. muscipula:

Thanks for the info. I learned a new thing today. Your line of reasoning is that if the parent plant is immature, it will take a at least two years before something with a decent size will be in your pot. On the other hand if you take a cutting from a mature plant, you'll have a bigger plant in a shorter period of time.

If we were working with animals instead of plants, i would say that the larger ceph that you have will die faster. Fortunately for us, this plant is a perennial.

It also looks like we are mixing topics of interest here. One thing is just to get a leaf to root and another is to see how big your plant will get based on the starting material.

I do believe that the cutting i've got from the immature leaf will take at least two years to see a nice decent plant from it and you've shown this to be the case. Very interesting indeed.

I also wanted to ask you how do you manage to get those pictures on this site. do you have a website yourself?

Thanks again

Agustin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To find the URL of where the picture is posted, right click on the picture and look at Properties.

To post pictures on the PFT site, read the thread below
    "Pictures, I want to post them. how?"
    http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin/ib...ST;f=14;t=1876

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What BobZ said.

I have webspace here at school, at my alma mater, and a few other assorted websites i've collected over the years. Then there's the NECPS web page that i maintain (that's where the third photo came from). I just link to photos stored on those sites.

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey agustin, & d muscipula, Did either of you use rooting hormones?

thanks,

Cole
    Duele no tenerte cerca, duele no escuchar tu voz. Duele respirar tu ausencia, pero, duele más decirte adiós.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I always use rooting hormones; even though i've heard otherwise. I do believe it help in promoting root growth. The proof is that when i was going through my first attempts, surprisingly enough one dying pitcher after a week of planting it into the sphagnum moss, it already had a 2/16 of an inch root. In other words, the stuff I was using was very strong.

P.S. Thanks Bob for your help. I am still trying to install windows 98 in my computer, because it is so old and windows 95 does not support USB software!!.

Agustin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Colieo, sadly, the rooted cutting isn't mine, but i believe John uses rooting hormones for the cuttings he takes.

Gus, if you can, i'd highly recommend you install windows 2000 instead of 98. 98 has enough problems that are resolved with W2K that i think you might as well bypass it. I realize that it might be more expensive, though.

Also, USB is a hardware interface, like for scanners and printers. If you are having software problems, it's not due to lack of USB support. Until Christmas this year, when i got my digicam, i never used USB. So it's not something essential - don't worry about not being able to use it unless there's something you want to use that only comes in USB.

Anyway, enough digression...

My Growlist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast