User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sarracenia on windowsill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am wondering if sarracenia can live on my windowsill. The humidity is 29%. It can get to 35% when I spray it with water.
    I am not being too hopefull. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks,
    SunPitcher [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In general, no. The only sarrs that I can grow on my south-facing window are the purpureas, and young plants. With the trumpet pitchers, I wouldnt even try... they end up all scraggly looking and deformed. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

Cole
    Duele no tenerte cerca, duele no escuchar tu voz. Duele respirar tu ausencia, pero, duele más decirte adiós.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Sunpitcher - Do you have any opportunity to grow them in a sunny spot outside? It can be impossible in a desert or in a highrise or in a wooded suburban lot, but people have found ways to grow Sarrs in many situations. Maybe if you describe your situation better, someone will have an idea. Bruce
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sarracenia arent really picky about humidity, around 50% would be the best...now you can grow sarras on a windowsill if you can give them 5 - 6 hours of direct sun, and switching the pot around so not all one side gets all the light.
    Kevin
    Kevin Peterson
    Grosse Pointe, MI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SunPitcher, it depends a lot on where you live. I grew S. minor in my window before and it grew very nicely, but since i moved to a new state, the light from the window isn't really enough for it anymore.

It sounds like you live in a desert climate because your air is so dry. I kept my S. minors in a half covered terrarium (they stuck out the top) in bone dry SLC, UT, and they did fine, so you should be okay almost anywhere in the US if you can put them in a terrarium or deep container to keep up the local humidity. The sunlight at that elevation (around 5000 feet) is also bright enough for them to do well in a window.

Where i live now, in Boston, the humidity occasionally drops down to 20%, but is usually much higher, so i think they would do fine without the terrarium. However, the amount of sunlight here at sea level just isn't enough to make them happy. I have supplemented the light with a HPS lamp, and it helps, but as Colieo said, they don't seem very happy now.

Here's the setup:
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i grew some sarracenia on my windowsill that faced east and theyseemed to grow ok but they did not get much color . so i grew them in my greenhouse but they had even less color and became deformed because my greenhouse gets less light , so i decided to grow them outdoors . i live in southern california in the valley so it can get very hot adn dry here . i grow them under a shade cloth . so far they seem to be doing ok , the temps can get up to more then 100 and the humidity can get as low as 20 % but they seem ok if you cool them down by misting them .