What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora

How do you care for this plant?
Thanks

I grow all my Heliamphora with my Sarracenia at a minimum temperature of 8 degree Celsius. Grow them in a Sarracenia mix, quite open, but with a layer of live sphagnum moss on top, standing in a couple of inches of water in the summer. I use a light coloured pot, as the roots apparently do not like to get too hot. The more sun you give them, the redder they get and the larger the nectar spoon gets!

This would work in England, where summers aren't really hot and humidity is always relativly high.

I'm not sure if you can grow Heliamphora side by side to sarracenia in more continental climates.
What do you do during winter, when Sarracenia needs dormancy ?

Martin

i got 2 of thse for the 2 for 7 doler special, got them yesterday, they look really kinda weird but cool, small and tiny!
it dosnt look anything like the kinf for the picture on the website =/

parasuco, what i do, i have it inside during the day and outside at night, cus during day temps get reallyt high, what i do is on hot days or something i made a ice tray full of distilled water, and today i tok 1, broke it and placed it ontop of the soil

usual propel bottle, fuill it with distiled water, then i put in fridge, and take it out when it needs watering, my cobra lily likes these conditions too, and since i keep it outside in the porch i might keep the 2 heliamphoras outside too

they look kinda weird, can anyone post a picture of what theres looks like? please?

i wish i had a camera damnit!!!!

wink.gif

Here are a couple of not high quality pics of Heliamphora,
on the left is a heterodoxa x minor; on the right a minor and in the front my slow growing ionassi.
heli_1.jpg

heli2_1.jpg

Cheers

Pete,

What are you growing in? Straight sphag?

Pyro

Martin
what do you mean not hot? my greenhouse gets upto 40 C sometimes, and we can often have droughts in the summer!! in winter the plants just slow down a bit.

These guys need HIGH humidity. I've heard that plants grow faster in sphagnum than peat. Mine was in peat for a year but it only grew nicely after I repotted into longfibered sphagnum.

pthiel, you might have the Ilu Tepui species that is not named yet. These guys take years to mature! They grow on Ilu Tepui with Ionassi. I had one given to me as H.Ionassi that never matured and it's been 4 years I think. Grew a lot of new sideshoots, but I gave it away a year ago. Check out the link below!
http://www.wistuba.com/cp....pui.htm

(Edited by Statik2426 at 6:13 pm on May 3, 2002)

Pyro,
They are growing in a mix of peat and german sphagnum, I may decide to move them to straight sphagnum later but hate repotting them and throwing them into temporary shock.
Of course I do not care for them like everyone says you should, not real high humidity, no cool water ever, they are growing in a tank with alot of neps. But they continue to grow and divide and flower so I'll not complain.
I have been told before that the ionassi may be the Ilu Tepui species, I will check out the link and see if I can tell.

Thanks.

pthiel, the link won't help. All Sun pitchers look almost the same with juvinile pitchers. I just posted the link to show you how the Ilu Tepui species looks as an adult. I have never seen one in cultivation with mature pitchers.

I dont think humidity is as important as everyone says for Heliamphora. my greenhouse is low humidity in summer, but they thrive! I just make sure I harden them off if they have been growing in terrariums etc.

gardenofeden, how low is "low humidity" in your greenhouse?

dont have a meter, but windows & doors open all summer which strips away a lot of moisture

Pthie,
how old are your mature plants? They're wonderful by the way!!!! I'm very jelous.

Hi,

they will turn more redish and develop bigger "lids" if grown under intensive light...

May H. minor x heterodoxa could get even more light...

(btw, today I have sown my first Helimaphora seed. Now I only have to wait 10 years for big plants :) )

H_midoxa06.jpg

nice Martin

smile.gif
thats one BIG stalk!

Rosie,
The mature plants are around 6 years old.

Cheers

Back