What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proprogation

As you now, that I currently have a S. Dixie Lace. About the plant which is in excellent condition, I notice that the plant has multiple growing points and I want to divide it in a way that I'm not putting harm to it in anyway. How would I approach this? How about if the growing point has not developed any roots? ( I already know that you should divide the plants up in spring, before the plants began doing their main growth. Doing out of season will cause harm to your plants and will probably cause them to die!!! 0

eplants,

Don't touch a new growth that has no roots of it's own. Most of the time they die and if they don't they will be very slow growing. To seperate or divide remove whole plant from pot and wash roots bare. each piece you want to remove should have atleast three roots growing from it. Divide and pot each piece as a mature plant. if you want to know more, post.

Good luck with the divisions,

Chris.

How would I split up the rhizomes? By knife or scissors?

You could use iether. I use a very sharp knife or if i can't find one then my secetuer's do the job nicely.

Chris

If I cut the plant, would there be any side affects happening to the mother plant that I should know about?

Dixie Lace is a man made cultivar- we are having trouble with as it comes out of tc.  The problem is exactly as you are experiencing.  The plant want to multiply without really maturing.  As it continues to divide it is expanding energy that weakens the plant.  Some of the plants are growing out of this, but it is not the rule.
It appears the tc media is not correct and one of parents (S. psittacina) may be the cause of it wanting to multiple in such a manner.
I highly recommend you dividing the plants.  In the early spring would be better.  We have found that once the plants are divided they do grow better, and they become stunning with in a few months. Dixe Lace produces another form of pitcher than what you maybe have seen in catalogs.  It also produces a upright pitcher that is dark red and large to about 12" in mid spring.  You would not even think it is the same plant.  The only plants that have ever done this are the divided plants.  
Even if the "parent crown" has no roots, this can be okay as again this appears to be a tissue culture related problem.  It can be divided and set on its own.  Most grow out roots within a month or so.  Or use a rooting hormone on the ground base of the rhizome section, but this really isn't needed if done in good climate.  You may lose a couple of the smaller divisions, but the plant will be very slow if left to just keep dividing and could fizzle out.
A nice Nov. day here,
~ Mike
St. Petersburg Fl

Dang Mike, that is good stuff to know!

Dag MPH101, you know more stuff about the S. Dixie Lace than I do, although I just have been growing this species for only 11 months and counting.
smile.gif
About when you divide the plant right, what does the pitcher look like in the mid-spring that you are describing? And also (I know this sounds silly) can I divide the plant, now, when dormancy is approaching?

eplants02 I am going to try and send a couple jpegs to your home mailbox in today.
I doubt any of the plants have the sping pitchers I describe. They have faded away for the most, but I will look.
I wouldn't divide any Sarracenia as dormancy arrives. It can be done, with little problem most of the time. The plants will just not do anything until they start to grow. It isn't a good idea however as the cuttings/divisions are prime targets for fungal problems. Plus it will take a huge amount of the plants stored energy in the spring to overcome the stress/shock, call it trauma.
I would do this in very early spring when the plants after the plants start growing. If the plant in question to be divided has blooms cut them off as early as you see them. I use clonex or Oliva's rooting gel on the ends of some Sarracenia rhizome divisions, but it really isn't needed. It is a good idea to treat the divisions with a fungicide at this time. Fungal/bacteria problems are a major problem with Sarracenia. As of this date very little has ever been written about these problems but I don't understand why as Sarracenia are prime targets for these over insect pest and they are harder to treat than the insects.
Take care,
~ Mike

Back