What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which one?

I was wondering which sarracenia is best suited fo me? Which one is the fastes, strongest, most tolerant to all conditions(and of course beautiful)
biggrin.gif

Purpureas are a good start.
smile.gif

You live in Puerto Rico, right? Hot and Humid? Pretty much any sarr will like your conditions for the summer. You're going to need somewhere they can be chilly for dormancy, though.

How big can a sarr. purpurea get? I mean, when winter comes I have to put it on a refrigerator.
confused.gif
I hope it fits.
sad.gif

I say get a S. Flava, they look great in sun with thier veins!
smile.gif
, Possibly a luec too.
biggrin.gif
good luck,
Kevin

How big can a sarr. purpurea get?
confused.gif
And how big do you guys (pft.com) sell them?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Andenes @ Mar. 22 2003,5:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How big can a sarr. purpurea get?  
confused.gif
 And how big do you guys (pft.com) sell them?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Schnell says (I'm speaking from memory now, don't get mad if this is wrong) that the pitchers on the S. purpurea ssp venosa can get over 8 inches long. Mine has about 4 inch pitchers, but it's new.

Over 8 inches is pretty impressive, given their width--these are pretty massive leaves that hold a substantial amount of water. Since they grow in a rosette, the plant is going to look big even with smaller pitchers. The flowers are nice, too, if not fragrant.

I've got four different sarrs going right now, and the purpurea is by far the most durable. It came out of a terrarium, and shows no sign of wear and tear despite the drop in humidity and massive increase in sunlight--not to mention the repotting. The others are still catching their breath.

Another neat feature is that the pitchers are wide enough to look into--you can watch the plant catch and eat its meals, if you are into that sort of thing. It's the best for a class, too, if you want to teach, as the purpurea pitcher, when bisected, most clearly demonstrates the "zones" of a pitcher leaf.

Get the purpurea venosa. Find a cool place for it to rest a couple of months in the winter and you are set.

Steve

Thanx alot Steveo!!!!!
biggrin.gif
That's just what I wanted to hear!
tounge.gif
But, the sarr purpurea they sell here is it the venosa?

BIG thanx,
Erick

Unless identified as a ssp purpurea, almost every Sarr. purpurea being sold is a ssp venosa. They're more durable in cultivation and better adapted to hot summers.

Back