User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pitcher plant(sar)or tropical pitcher plant(nep.)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks a lot guys..i guess i do have to try both of them out! lol but id start with the sarracenia since i had a nepenthes before..LONG time ago tho...but anyway hopefully theyd be ok to grow here..thanks again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VFT'er...

Fellow Texan, you are blessed to live in our state!

Here is the deal, you may not know it, but you live in the same city as these forums originate from, Phil and Jeff are located in Houston Texas.

1st, you have humidity as your ally... cause every one knows that humidity wise, Houstin is the armpit of texas... this is good for BOTH plants...

You will do with Sarracenia outdoors in a mini-bog, pot in saucer, or in an in-ground bog. I grow Sars in San Antonio, and they love what sun I am capable of giving them on my apartment window.

Sarracenia Flava and Purpera are native to Texas, though the clones you can get may not be from here. You can grow them easily outdoors, and if your interested, you could go to the big thicket and view them on pitcherplant trail. *just don't take any!*

Nepenthes are awesome plants, my favorite.. unfortunately, I have not had any success with them at all outdoors here, the few I have tried in my shadiest spots, all turn to crisps in no time flat... now, with your higher humidity, you may have a chance outdoors, but you still have texas heat, and I don't think that is something easily overcome for a nepenthes...

If you are going to grow indoors though, get yourself something easy, like Pyro said, and have a shot at it. Should be no problem there.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought S. alata was native to texas....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I am new to Austin, I must say, my Nep Coccinea is doing fine outside.

I have it hanging on the inner part of my porch, where it only can get direct sunlight in the very morning. It is also a larger nep, and this is the key I think. It is in a large hanging pot, and therefore can hold a good deal of water.

So far, it has done very well, and I think it will be producing pitchers soon. From what I hear though, Austin has been on the cool side this summer (85-95, with lots of rain) So who knows how it will take it when it gets to be 105 later this week.

Just my two cents. I agree with everyone else's advice though... try them all!

---Lane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, for some reason, you really take a dip in temps from austin to San Antonio...

Austin is a nice town. I like it... But be warned, it only takes one 105 degree day to turn your plant to toast... only one...

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my house is kinda dark inside, but the patio in the back yard gets a LOT of sun. it gets direct sunlight from around 10 till 4 or 5. or even more. it is like this every day, so how would i keep them? btw, theres a little shaded area where the water from the a/c drips...i heard that the water is safe enough for cps. should i put either plant there? it forms a kind of puddle. i put my vft kinda close to there, and its doing fine. would that be an ok place for a nepethes or a sarr?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12