What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pitcher plant(sar)or tropical pitcher plant(nep.)?

which one would be better to grow in texas? (houston) and which one grows faster (for the majority of both species)? im asking you guys, cus id get a fair opinion..if i posted this in either plant's forums, theyd tell me to get their plant..or theyd be more encouraged to..(does that make sense? well, u get the point anyway lol) thanx

Hey there
smile.gif
Im going to move this to the sarr section so people who know what theyre talking about can help you.

I might suggest talking to Phil, Jeff, or Rampuppy, since they live there too
biggrin.gif

We're all the same people, so don't worry about biased opinions... Even the mods know everything about every CP on earth, and don't offer biased advice...

I would say Nep kuz i like them better (doh&#33
wink.gif
, but a sarr might be better if its grown in minibog... They need to be outside, and if its not humid enough, then its not for you...
sad.gif

Hi Venus Fly Trapper

I don't think I've said hi to you before so...HI and welcome to the forums.
smile.gif

I say...try both! Depending on where you plan to grow your plants (indoors or out), you should be able to accommodate both plants. I live in VA so I can't grow neps outside year 'round but my sarras do stay out and winter over outside. Try growing one (or more...hehe) of each and see if you develop a personal preference for either. I like both, I just don't have as much room for neps as I do for sarras but each is beautiful and interesting in its way.

Parasuco...I'm a mod and I can tell ya I don't come CLOSE to knowing everything about every CP...lol.
biggrin.gif
But I will toss my 2-cents in if I think I can help.
smile.gif

Suzanne

Being a Mod I agree with PAK, we don't know everything when it comes to CPs
smile.gif

As for your question Trapper, PAK hit the nail on the head... try both. A good beginner Nep that grows fast and is easy would be N. ventricosa. N. gracilis and mirabilis are also pretty easy. For easy Sarrs, S. purpurea comes first to my mind, also rubra which is very prolific and fast growing.

For some good advice on outdoor growing check out this link.

Hope all this gets you started

Pyro

S. alata can get big pitchers with excellent coloration all year round.( there not just a pale green color)

'scuse the tangeant, but you two do know everything about all plants (relative to me at the very least, hehehe)... Hehe....

Hi venus flytrapper,
I would have thought Sarracenia would be easier to grow for you as Sarracenia does grow naturally within your state.

But conditions do vary within your state so if you say lived on the east side, then you can grow them outside and water them with the tray method. In other word, no special treatment!

If you lived on the west side and therefore a much drier climate, then you need to think about increasing the amount of water available to your plants.

thanks a lot guys..i guess i do have to try both of them out! lol but id start with the sarracenia since i had a nepenthes before..LONG time ago tho...but anyway hopefully theyd be ok to grow here..thanks again!

VFT'er...

Fellow Texan, you are blessed to live in our state!

Here is the deal, you may not know it, but you live in the same city as these forums originate from, Phil and Jeff are located in Houston Texas.

1st, you have humidity as your ally... cause every one knows that humidity wise, Houstin is the armpit of texas... this is good for BOTH plants...

You will do with Sarracenia outdoors in a mini-bog, pot in saucer, or in an in-ground bog. I grow Sars in San Antonio, and they love what sun I am capable of giving them on my apartment window.

Sarracenia Flava and Purpera are native to Texas, though the clones you can get may not be from here. You can grow them easily outdoors, and if your interested, you could go to the big thicket and view them on pitcherplant trail. *just don't take any!*

Nepenthes are awesome plants, my favorite.. unfortunately, I have not had any success with them at all outdoors here, the few I have tried in my shadiest spots, all turn to crisps in no time flat... now, with your higher humidity, you may have a chance outdoors, but you still have texas heat, and I don't think that is something easily overcome for a nepenthes...

If you are going to grow indoors though, get yourself something easy, like Pyro said, and have a shot at it. Should be no problem there.

I thought S. alata was native to texas....

Although I am new to Austin, I must say, my Nep Coccinea is doing fine outside.

I have it hanging on the inner part of my porch, where it only can get direct sunlight in the very morning.  It is also a larger nep, and this is the key I think.  It is in a large hanging pot, and therefore can hold a good deal of water.

So far, it has done very well, and I think it will be producing pitchers soon.  From what I hear though, Austin has been on the cool side this summer (85-95, with lots of rain)  So who knows how it will take it when it gets to be 105 later this week.

Just my two cents.  I agree with everyone else's advice though... try them all!  

---Lane

well, for some reason, you really take a dip in temps from austin to San Antonio...

Austin is a nice town. I like it... But be warned, it only takes one 105 degree day to turn your plant to toast... only one...

sad.gif

my house is kinda dark inside, but the patio in the back yard gets a LOT of sun. it gets direct sunlight from around 10 till 4 or 5. or even more. it is like this every day, so how would i keep them? btw, theres a little shaded area where the water from the a/c drips...i heard that the water is safe enough for cps. should i put either plant there? it forms a kind of puddle. i put my vft kinda close to there, and its doing fine. would that be an ok place for a nepethes or a sarr?

Back