User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Darlingtonia

My darlingtonia is sprouting babies all along the edge of the pot, they're about an inch high now. My question is, does anyone know approximately how long it takes for them to grow to maturity?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I grabbed from this site:
    http://www.geocities.com/cteichreb/Darlingtonia.html

Propagation
    Darlingtoniacan be propagated through seed, stolon cuttings, division, and tissue culture.

Seed and division are similar to Sarraceniaso can be referred to in that section. Seed is brown and bristly in nature to help disperse itself by catching rides in animals fur to be deposited elsewhere. Plants raised from seed may take up to 10 years to reach maturity!

One of the unique things about Darlingtoniais it's massive production of plantlets through stolons. It sends out stolons during the growing season, which may exceed lengths of several feet. Eventually, the stolon stops growing and produces a new plantlet a the tip. Once rooted, this daughter plant can simply be cut off with a sharp knife and repotted. A full size plant can be obtained within a couple of years using this technique. If you do not remove the daughter plants, you will eventually have a container brimming with pitchers of all sizes and ages, a beautiful sight!

Darlingtoniaseed can be sterilized and introduced into tissue culture as well.
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it takes about 5 yrs. to reach this size

[img]http://home.**********.com/george-cp/Dacal.jpg[/img]
    George McKay

In The End We are All Dead
    Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you don't want to read the entire page wickedthistle found looking for the answer to your question, just read this:

One of the unique things about Darlingtoniais it's massive production of plantlets through stolons. It sends out stolons during the growing season, which may exceed lengths of several feet. Eventually, the stolon stops growing and produces a new plantlet a the tip. Once rooted, this daughter plant can simply be cut off with a sharp knife and repotted. A full size plant can be obtained within a couple of years using this technique. If you do not remove the daughter plants, you will eventually have a container brimming with pitchers of all sizes and ages, a beautiful sight!

[/QUOTE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George, I think that that is from seed... Which, even so, is pretty long... :S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Parasuco, that is from a tissue culture place in florida not really shure if it is from seed or not but most likely is. i have my seed in the refrig still until spring
    George McKay

In The End We are All Dead
    Florida

7. Similar Threads

1. Darlingtonia
      By MidnightSkies in forum Pitcher Plants: (Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus)
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: 04-10-2010, 08:57 AM
    2. Darlingtonia pot
      By petmantis in forum Pitcher Plants: (Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus)
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 05-04-2009, 06:39 AM
    3. Looking for Darlingtonia
      By huy716 in forum Carnivorous Plant Trading Post
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 05-16-2008, 03:58 AM
    4. Darlingtonia pic
      By disco in forum Pitcher Plants: (Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus)
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 03-06-2007, 01:29 AM
    5. Need Darlingtonia help!
      By imported_cephalotus88 in forum Pitcher Plants: (Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus)
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 04-29-2002, 04:53 PM