What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flushing out the insides

Hi peeps!

My pitcher plant, after being fed some rather large freeze dried crickets (I think they were too big given the size of my plant), are beginning to develop a stink. I'm growing him in a terrarium, and now it gives me a headache everytime I open it.

Is it safe to flush out the pitchers using pure water? Or do is there some important fluid in there that's vital to their health, that should not be flushed out? I'm just thinking of turning the pitchers sideways over a sink and then flooding them with pure water until the insides flow out.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Leo

What species are we dealing with here?

I think it would be okay to do with purpurea but I'm not too sure about the others

Pyro

Yes, it's a purp, although for some strange reason, my purp is very very green. So they don't contain any essential oils or anything vital to its survival? I can clean them out completely? Leo

Purps tend to get flushed in nature so it doesn't hurt them. In fact I know a number of growers make it a point to fill their purp traps about once a month or so.

I fill my purp pitchers out side when they get halfway but if it is a rainy week or month then nothing to worry about! And yeah I am sure every CP grower knows the smell you have.
tounge.gif

Hi Leo,
Firstly, your plant won't prosper in a terrarium in the long term. Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa (most likely one you have) is a warm temperate climate plant. It needs cold or cool winters, so the best would be outside in southern California in partial shade, to take the intensity of the sun off the plant, stood in 1 to 2" of rain or distilled water, pot in tray method (nice & wide to allow some humidity around your plant)

This has the added benefit of not doing your nose in every time you look in!

Seriously, though, leave the pitchers alone, they will appreciate the feed! But long term, I am sure you want the best for your plant and Sarracenia are not suitable terrarium plants in the home.

Thanks all -

I think I'll follow Mike's advice and see how the plant does outside on my balcony. Whenever I open my terrarium, the smell hits me through my nose, all the way to the base of my spinal cord and literally gets my head spinning.

Leo

many belive purps use bacterial action to suppliment their digestive process... thus... stinky...

Back