Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D. Californica in Pain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lost two of my D. Californica last year to the heat (I live in sw VA). At a home improvement store I picked another up and repotted it this spring. Its growing very slowly and only has a few young pitchers but I know that once it gets hot it will wilt and die. How can I prevent this. Would it be better in a bog garden (I have one in the ground that is fairly large) or in a pot. Does it really need full sun or could it survive with less. I am also on the verge and building an very large home for my cramped neps and dews. Would it be happy in a terrarium and how much light would it need there? I really love these plants but they just don't like my climate. Ack! [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think it would do best in the bog garden, perhaps in an area with partial shade. I'm sure it was heat that killed it. I think the bog garden soil would not get as hot as that in a pot. Another thing you can do is make distilled water ice cubes and sprinkle a few around the plant every morning to help keep the soil temp lower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gafoto,

I can tell you what I have done but I can't guarantee anything as growing conditions vary too much for anything to be set in stone.

I grow in a large (8") white ceramic pot (this allows for evaporation which helps cool the roots) in a media of 1:1 lava rock:LF sphag (perlite is fine too I just hate the whitness of it.) I use a really big, deep tray (actually an old dog food bowl) which I keep constantly full. Every day I suck the water from the tray out using a turkey baster and squirt it around the plant (at least once but preferably 2-5 times.) I grow in semi-shade and the plants do not seem to be suffering any so I would say that full sun is not necessary. If you can't do semi shade maybe try for morning sun and have it shaded in the afternoon.

Pyro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you think I could put it in a huge pot and sink it in the ground?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <I've seen the same thing happen with a couple of plants. They still haven't recovered after about 2 months. It was suggested by a grower that since I live in a warm climate I should try to reverse the growing cycle by forcing them into dormancy in the summer and growing in the winter (he does this). To do this he bags them up and puts them in the fridge until October or so then grows them through the winter months. I haven't tried this but if things don't start happening soon I'll give it a try. Hope it's not too late. >

I made this suggestion in another topic (very similar). I guess it's worth a try.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'll try that with a newer plant. I'll buy another one of those tissue culture platnts that prbly has been growing all winter. It could most likely use the good dormancy. The only problem is certain family mebers who might object to having a plant next to the salami or whatnot. :biggrin:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gafoto
    this is what I do for my Darlingtonia, maybe it will work for you.I use a drip irrigation set up attached to a small water pump. I grow my copra in a basket used for water lillies and have this on top of a large rubbermate container i have in a small pond. It took a couple of years to get the kinks out but it works great. I use the rubbermate for the smaller volume of rain water i have to save, the larger pond keeps cooler longer.the pump attached to a small garden hose is then attached to the drip irrigation.I get continuous circulation, the cobra doesnt sit in water, it gets cool water to its roots always and i get cooling through evaparation. its easy to set up, pretty cheap, little maintenance, and my cobras reward me with lots of pitures, flowers,and lots of new plants. sorry this was so long.
    good luck, Jack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jack,

Sounds like a keen set-up.

Gafoto,

I was thinking on the reverse season thing and a problem with it sprang to mind. Unless you grow your plant indoors I don't think it will work. One of the primarry triggers of dormancy it photoperiod, so you pull the plant out in the fall and try to grow it through the winter it will try to remain dormant because of the reduced daylight. Just some thing to think on

Pyro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast