Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia identification quiz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That defiantely has oreophila in it. It would be interesting to see the flower colour to see what the other species is. The other problem with this ID is scale; how big is it?
    Best Regards

Mike King

NCCPG National collection holder of Sarracenia

http://www.carnivorousplants.uk.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The height is about 15cm/5.75in.

The exact labelling was:

S. oreo 'Alabama'
    x sand mtn.

S. oreophila 'Alabama' is not a recognized cultivar name in the CP Database. Sand Mountain is located in Alabama, which is where the mother plant may have originated from. I believe this plant is really a S. oreophila 'Don Schnell'. The other minute possibility is that it's cross with a S. alabamensis, but the lid does not look ruffled as a S. alabamensis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could be S. oreo 'Alabama population' x 'Sand Mtn population'

Regardless, it is a beautiful plant [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] I just wish mine would get that colourful
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a very nice plant. I have S. oreo. Dave Taylor which looks very similar but has not got the heavy veining of yours but colours in a more general manner in the sun.
    Give me the sense to wonder,[br] To wonder if I\'m free.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmmmm, definetly some kind of flava, possibly a flava rubra and a oreo, they all have very similarities.
    Kevin Peterson
    Grosse Pointe, MI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK,
    Below is a mature oreophila from my website, this is the Sand mountain location plant (07) which highlights strongly veined. The clear cut thing about identifying this species are the sickle shaped winter leaves or phyllodia at the bottom which unfortunately was not on the image at the start of this thread. The other difference between this species and flava would also be in the lack of a frontal spout in the peristome or lip of the pitcher itself. The vein pattern (to me) is very similar throughout the oreophila species, but does vary quite a bit in intensity between individual clones.
    Best Regards

Mike King

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry guys but I think you all got on the boat and then stepped off again, the oreo part is where you stepped on but really? if you can't see the leuco in this plant then I don't grow carnivores and pigs fly. Take a look at the viening pattern (very stevensii) and HELLO! Leuco lip or what? you might also find a little flava in there to boot. I have flavas that produce the same curved pitchers in thier first flush every year and then produce the standard flava shape (these are 9-10 year old plants mind you). The other thing that you seem to have missed is the age of the plant. Is it even producing mature pitchers yet (assuming it is a flava/oreo hybrid). And if not then your looking at an out-bred venosa hybrid, with a flava/leucophilla background to remove the flare and frilling in the hood.
    As usuall with incorrectly labelled hybrids there are a thousand possibilities and no sure answer.

It has been fun though to get involved again.

Chris.
    they walk among us!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris,
    To which photo do you refer? If you can see leuco or flava in those plants, how? Both leucophylla and flava have frontal spouts on the peristome and the plants in these photos do not as what you would expect of oreophila. And you also mention the frilling,what frilling? Stevensii is a synonym of x catesbaei so no leucophylla. To me. especially with what the label reads for the first photograph,the plant is a straight oreophila. Looking forward to your comments!
    Best Regards

Mike King

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast