What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia identification quiz

Ok ... thank you Chris
confused.gif
Lighten up on the caffiene buddy
tounge.gif

and as a friendly reminder I would like to remind you
wink.gif
to please keep your coments friendly and not quite so ... unfriendly
wink.gif

Mike if your not dead on with that answer I'll be surprised the pic you provided looks exactly like it.

Hi there UKC,
You are right, there is from the flash I suppose ( I did not take the picture, but some schoolkids did when the website first started back in 99), but here is a side on view and the sickle shaped pyllodia can be seen. Sorry for the poor image quality, but some investment will be on the way to improve my website pictures! It is amazing what a digital camera can and cannot do compared with the eye!

Sarracenia oreophila, Dekalb co, Alabama
S%20orephila,O5,%20Dekalb%20Co.jpg

Darn you Mike! Now you got me off to wondering what my Oreophila is!
smile.gif
I suspect it is probably the typical form. Althought it does have very pretty veined pitchers (or what it put up so far). I got it from Mike Catalani and he can't remeber what variety it is. He said just wait and you will certainly be able to tell what form it is next year!
smile.gif

Hi again guys,

No aggresion intended just sarcasm. My point of view is exactly that, mine and I did not in any way wish to infer that I have greater knowledge than anyone else who uses this forum. I was asked a question and gave my response that's all. However, I don't expect anyone to agree with what I say or detect the humor in the way I said it (you'de have to be Australian to do that).

Alvin,

I am one of those who have been growing sarra's for decades (18 yrs) I was simply trying to express a point of view
biggrin.gif

Mike,

I always thought xCatesbaei to be a naturally occuring hybrid between leucophylla and purp venosa, your thoughts on the subject?
And yes I did mention frilling. But not on the subject plant. I said that if the plant had the heritage I suggested then it had been out bred to remove the frilling.

I have both catesbaei and stevensii in my collection and they look nothing like each other, stevensii has long, upright, heavilly veined pitchers that slowly turn a deep burgundy with age while catesbaei has short, upright pitchers with a definate bulge in the center (purp. venosa) and a combination hood that is upright (p.v.) heavilly veined (p.v. and leuco) with some white "windows" as are found in leucophilla.

Look forward to hearing your response, think I'll go and have another coffee
tounge.gif
Chris.

Hi Chris,
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Mike,

I always thought xCatesbaei to be a naturally occuring hybrid between leucophylla and purp venosa, your thoughts on the subject?
And yes I did mention frilling. But not on the subject plant. I said that if the plant had the heritage I suggested then it had been out bred to remove the frilling.

I have both catesbaei and stevensii in my collection and they look nothing like each other, stevensii has long, upright, heavilly veined pitchers that slowly turn a deep burgundy with age while catesbaei has short, upright pitchers with a definate bulge in the center (purp. venosa) and a combination hood that is upright (p.v.) heavilly veined (p.v. and leuco) with some white "windows" as are found in leucophilla[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Catesbaei is the hybrid between purpurea ssp. venosa and flava, the plant you have will be x mitchelliana, the Stevensii plant we have in Europe is mislabelled. Stevensii is a synonym for catesbaei and therefore has no leuco parentage, yet the Dutch who mass propagate this clone have probably got S x (rubraxpupurea)xleucophylla to get that amount of redness whilst having attractive white/pink early pitchers.

I can assure you that the pictures I posted are absolutely pure oreophila, the problem with I dentifying the first photo in this thread was there was no sense of scale nor pictures of the whole plant, eg no phyllodia showing.

I would be interested in seeing your flying pig collection!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I have a little update on this plant. Here are two more pictures of it.

PossibleS.oreo1.jpg

The newest and largest unformed pitcher is 25.5cm/10in in height.
Sorry, the picture is a little dark. Also, I didn't fertilize the plant with milk.
smile.gif

PossibleS.oreo2.jpg

Notice the 2 phyllodia.

It is oreophila without a doubt, but it looks like it is still putting up pitchers so how/what growing conditions have you got it in?

id like to hear that too, mine stoped pitchering a while ago
and i love in florida.
Joel

I live in California. The days are warm here. Today it's about 80 degrees Fahrenheit/26 degrees Celsius. It gets exposed to natural light facing the South window.

All of my Sarracenia plants are still growing. I believe some of my D. intermedia might be starting going into hibernation.

Mike

right you are!

after further research and some sleep ( its five in the morning here when i'm chatting) i appolagise and confer. I am very sorry to say that my pig collection all swam away and no trace of them has been found
smile.gif
tounge.gif
. However I would like to argue the no spout statement that you made. I have seen and have both oreophila and flava's that have a very prominent spout and i think that the pitchers in the above mentioned pictures (pardon the pun) show definate signs of peristomal spouting. I would be interested in discussing these matters with you on a more personal basis (ie. Email addresses). chris

Hi Chris,
I agree flava has the spout, but the 11 different oreos here in my collection don't. They are so different to flava in this department. Here are some flava pics from my gallery page that show 'the spout'!

S%20flava%20Var%20cupurea,F90,June%202001.jpg

S%20flavavar.rugelii,f53,2002.jpg

and to compare to the oreophila below again:-
S%20orephila,O5,%20Dekalb%20Co.jpg

Of course, I would be happy to discuss this, but I think there are a lot of interested parties in this discussion! If you would like to contact me directly my email address is mking1@compuserve.com

You have also inspired me to make some better pictures next year of the oreophilas here!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Back