What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia identification quiz

This plant came with a tag that is mislabelled (by the CP Database standards).  I thought it would be fun to see if anyone can guess what this plant is.  Today, I'll post the pictures, and tomorrow I will list the (mis-)label, as a hint.

UnknownSarracenia1.jpg

UnknownSarracenia2.jpg

UnknownSarracenia3.jpg

UnknownSarracenia4.jpg

Is it some kind of Rubra ssp?

Is it a hybrid or species? Looks flava-ish but not entirely. Or at least they don't look quite the same as my flavas.

Suzanne

I agree with PlantAKiss, it looks mostly like flava i've seen but it seems to have more in it than that.

I'll guess that the plant is mostly made up of flava but it was crossed with something like purpurea somewhere along the line. The pitchers seem to curve from the base more than other flava plants, which are usually more vertical. Also, the pitcher seems to be wider in the lower part of the pitcher more than usual, other flava plants i've seen are not hollow and more narrow towards the bottom of the plant.

I would guess either flava x rubra, or flava x (purpurea x rubra).

The short stature and the shape of the hood make me want to say that it is an oreo. The curvature of the pitchers also points me in that direction as mine looks like that.

The shape of the hood does look oreophila like. It also seems very bushy, which could be some oreophila trait, but it could also have rubra in there. Could be oreophylla x rubra.

I agree with Pyro and Alvin, there is definitely quite a bit of oreophila in there, and I would probably agree with Alvin in that it looks like an oreophila rubra cross.

That defiantely has oreophila in it. It would be interesting to see the flower colour to see what the other species is. The other problem with this ID is scale; how big is it?

The height is about 15cm/5.75in.

The exact labelling was:

S. oreo 'Alabama'
x sand mtn.

S. oreophila 'Alabama' is not a recognized cultivar name in the CP Database. Sand Mountain is located in Alabama, which is where the mother plant may have originated from. I believe this plant is really a S. oreophila 'Don Schnell'. The other minute possibility is that it's cross with a S. alabamensis, but the lid does not look ruffled as a S. alabamensis.

It could be S. oreo 'Alabama population' x 'Sand Mtn population'

Regardless, it is a beautiful plant
smile.gif
I just wish mine would get that colourful

Its a very nice plant. I have S. oreo. Dave Taylor which looks very similar but has not got the heavy veining of yours but colours in a more general manner in the sun.

hmmmmm, definetly some kind of flava, possibly a flava rubra and a oreo, they all have very similarities.

OK,
Below is a mature oreophila from my website, this is the Sand mountain location plant (07) which highlights strongly veined. The clear cut thing about identifying this species are the sickle shaped winter leaves or phyllodia at the bottom which unfortunately was not on the image at the start of this thread. The other difference between this species and flava would also be in the lack of a frontal spout in the peristome or lip of the pitcher itself. The vein pattern (to me) is very similar throughout the oreophila species, but does vary quite a bit in intensity between individual clones.
S%20oreophila.jpg

Sorry guys but I think you all got on the boat and then stepped off again, the oreo part is where you stepped on but really? if you can't see the leuco in this plant then I don't grow carnivores and pigs fly. Take a look at the viening pattern (very stevensii) and HELLO! Leuco lip or what? you might also find a little flava in there to boot. I have flavas that produce the same curved pitchers in thier first flush every year and then produce the standard flava shape (these are 9-10 year old plants mind you). The other thing that you seem to have missed is the age of the plant. Is it even producing mature pitchers yet (assuming it is a flava/oreo hybrid). And if not then your looking at an out-bred venosa hybrid, with a flava/leucophilla background to remove the flare and frilling in the hood.
As usuall with incorrectly labelled hybrids there are a thousand possibilities and no sure answer.

It has been fun though to get involved again.

Chris.

Chris,
To which photo do you refer? If you can see leuco or flava in those plants, how? Both leucophylla and flava have frontal spouts on the peristome and the plants in these photos do not as what you would expect of oreophila. And you also mention the frilling,what frilling? Stevensii is a synonym of x catesbaei so no leucophylla. To me. especially with what the label reads for the first photograph,the plant is a straight oreophila. Looking forward to your comments!

Looks like an Oreo x Flava "veined" to me OR a pure Oreophila that is heavily colored.

Also Mike the phyllodia are seen in your picture! Look at the bottome near the Oreo's pot. YOu can see them but they are a little out of focus.
smile.gif

Hi Dustin,
It is a heavily veined oreophila, the Sand Mountain location and yes you can see the sickle shaped curved phyllodia. It is a shame we all could not see that in the original post as it would have been a dead give away!

Chris, I don't know if you meant your comments to sound like they did, but they come across a bit confrontational. Some people on this forum have been growing Sarras for decades and have very sizeable collections.

Back