What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which plant is this?

I picked these two plants up at Home depot, the label for both of them was identical. In fact Colasanti Farms even labelled a Nep with the same label LOL : Cobra plant (Sarracenia)

The pictures are not that great but can any one tell me what these are? The 2nd plants pitcher openings are so small and odd shaped I don’t know how it can catch any thing?

unknownplant.JPG

unknownsar.JPG

the first pic is S. Purpurea w/ a quarter in it wow rich plant
second one is somekind of hybrid not possitive w/ that one

the first one is a type of Purpurea purpurea, the second looks like a wriglyana to me.
Kevin

#1: S. Purpurea
#2: S. x Wriglyana OR S. x Dixie Lace

1-s.purpurea
it very sure.

One thing for certain, they both need more light. Increase the light slowly though so you don't burn them.

I'm willing to bet the purpurea is ssp Venosa, not ssp purpurea (Aren't the vast majority of purpureas sold ssp. Venosa?)

That is Purpurea Venosa. Purpurea purpurea would have much narrower and redder pitchers. Venosa has the more green with red venation rather than total red pitchers. The hybrid is Wrigliana as that is the hybrid Lowe's carries (or at least mine does)

or the second type could be a psittacina?It looks lie one to me.
wink.gif
But the first is definetly a S. Purpurea Purpurea, look at the red by the "lip" on that one, it has to be a Purpurea Purpurea.
Kevin

The wriglyana catches things by creatures entering the beaked section of the pitcher and ending up in the dark. There it will see the light shining through the small opening and enter, thinking it's an escape route. Which it isn't
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">it has to be a Purpurea Purpurea[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Well, my Purpurea ssp Venosa has lots of red coloration....ssp Purpurea is usually deep purple...also the pitchers are much narrower...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sarracenialuver @ Nov. 11 2002,12: 00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But the first is definetly a S. Purpurea Purpurea, look at the red by the "lip" on that one, it has to be a Purpurea Purpurea.
                   [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Um sorry purpurea will have coloration regardless of the form (except heterophylla forms). Here's my Venosa (red lip because of abundant light).
Picture%20664.jpg

Here's a purpurea subsp. purpurea. Red lip also but it is more of an all red on the pitcher not JUST the lip. (I think they should rename this form of Purpurea Purpurea S.Purpurea subsp. Purpurea f. Atropurpurea. <!--emo&
smile.gif
)

Picture%20658.jpg

am i thinking of the wrong plant here?Well I was looking at some pictures, and sadly
sad.gif
i am wrong, well we know one thing for sure, that the second is a wriglyana, well anyways, we will find out soon enough,
Kevin

I wrote to the Nursery that was on the care tag and just heard back from them (see the following), on a side note never knew they make steroids out of fly traps:

Wriglyana, and Ventircosa are two of them. Rubra instead of Venosa. I am no expert, but the lab we purchase the tissue culture from calls it Sarracinea Rubra.

We also sell Venus Fly trap, the hybrid name is "Dente". The lab also produces by tissue culture the Fly Trap that is native to the Carolinas. However most of them are used to produce a natural steroid for horses.

White Rose can supply you with both varieties of Venus Fly Trap. Additional varieties will be available in 2003.

Thanks for your inquiry.

That is no rubra... Look rubra up on a google image search... You'll see...

My 2 cents:
The top pic is purpurea venosa.

The bottom pic: definitely a psittacina hybrid. most likely wrigleyana (leuco x psitt). needs more light though. the pitchers should be mostly red with white spots if it is wrigleyana.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (seedling @ Nov. 13 2002,1:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Wriglyana, and Ventircosa are two of them.  Rubra instead of Venosa.  I am no expert, but the lab we purchase the tissue culture from calls it Sarracinea Rubra.  [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
He's right about one thing though Parasuco!

He's certainly NOT an expert!
biggrin.gif

LOL I looked up the Pic and that is funny.

Oh well at least they sell cheep plants... even if they dont have any clue as to what they are selling.

Too bad one of thier cheap plants wasn't an Argentii.
smile.gif
biggrin.gif

"Where'd you get your Argentii!?" "I got it at a Lowe's for 3 bucks, not $300!"

Back