What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. judith hindle

Well I got the bulbs from the PFT sale they are doing great. I got one question I put the S. Judith Hindle into highland and it started to pitcher the pitcher has been open for a week and 1/2. It dosn't have another pitcher coming up for some reason. Should the Judith Hindle be grown in lowland or higland in order to pitcher?
confused.gif

Phil

Psst! You can grow S. judith hindle like any other Sarracenia. I have S. purpurea and S. Judith Hindle side-by-side.

you must have been confused with nepethes judith finn .

No I was asking about S. Judith Hindle because after one pitcher it hasn't sent up a new shoot yet, is that comin in bulbs
wink.gif
. I knew that a judith finn is a highland. But I am having a problem with the S. Judith Hidle
confused.gif
Not pitchering after one pitcher
wink.gif

Phil

Sarracenia aren't highland or lowland they are temperate plants. (I know Nepenthes are the coolest CP's but don't go overboard
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
) I would put the plant outside...Sarracenia need full sunlight to grow.

Judith Hindle is a N American pitcher plant (genus Sarracenia). They all will grow in pretty much the same conditions. Judith Finn is a tropical pitcher plant (genus Nepenthes). Two completely different plants, from different families. I can see how a newbie could get confused though.

yes, "highland or lowland" refers to Nepenthes only..
not Sarracenia..

there is no such thing as highland or lowland Sarracenia..

S. Judith Hindle is a Sarracenia..they are from South East USA..(and up the East coast of the USA into Canada, in the case of S. Purpurea)..it wants the same conditions as any other Sarracenia, the fact that is is "Judith Hindle" means absolutely nothing as far as its care is concerned..its just another Sarr variety...needs nothing special!
wink.gif

just treat it the same as any other Sarracenia..

Nepenthes on the other hand have a wide range of care requirements..there are more species of Nepenthes than there are Sarracenia, and they are native to a much wider range of climates..thats where the "highland" and "lowland" varieties of Nepenthes comes in..

Scot

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sarracenia @ May 11 2003,9:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Judith Hindle is a N American pitcher plant (genus Sarracenia).  They all will grow in pretty much the same conditions.  Judith Finn is a tropical pitcher plant (genus Nepenthes).  Two completely different plants, from different families.  I can see how a newbie could get confused though.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I am not a newbie I didn't get confused. I know the difference between S. Judith Hindle and N. Judth Finn. I have both of the species, I mostly grow neps so when I was writing the topic what I meant to say is can they be in the same climate as a neoenthes highland like in the same GH.
smile.gif
All of my plants are mostly neps so I refured to highland instead of saying can the be in a 68-75*F Climate in the day and a 58-64*F climate at night. Sorry f some people didn't get it.
wink.gif
smile.gif

Phil

Back