Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Aphids?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

I have a 8 year old ceph that I just repotted in a new pot.
    Now one month later I see little bugs hopping around white, brown, black. When I blow the suface they hop other than that they just crawl around. The ceph was pretty big but when I repotted it I cut it down so I can grow it from ground up again. I was thinking of using some sort of insecticed but which one is best and how do I mix it and how often do I apply it. Also will it harm the plant now that it is shooting up some new spurts of growth.

Thanks Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year I put my vft`s outside to feed,they ended up covered in aphids from my rose bushes. I know a lot of people don`t like to use chemical sprays, I used Ortho Rose and Flower Insect Killer with no ill effects to my plants.
    John Milford CT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normally I submerge my plants to take care of aphids, but I don't think I would try it on a Ceph.

Take a look at the following page and scroll to the bottom;

http://www.cephalotus.info/cephalotusfollid.html You might also want to email Jonathan directly from that site and see what he recommends.

Good Luck

WildBill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andrew,
    Aphids don't hop. I am not sure what you have. I have a similar sounds bug that gets in the spaghnum moss of my seedling sarracenias but appears to be harmless and actually with a good disturbance, (I blow on them) they jump into the pitchers and feed the plants. I see really good results from these insects. I know that does not help your situtation. See if you cannot identify them.
    I remain a man obsessed with a genus
    Brooks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a suggestion if you want to try something without using pesticides:
    I bought some plants at a store on father's day... part of their special was to give away small vft's and bags of ladybugs. I was happy to have the ladybugs! My brassia orchid went from clean and happy one night to covered with aphids OVERNIGHT! The blooms on four spikes were just opening and I was scared I'd lose them all. I unleashed 300 ladybugs on the plant and the aphids were gone the next day! I was told also that the ladybugs will also find and eat the aphid eggs which sit around all winter and hatch in the spring. Let's hope so. A month later I'm still finding ladybugs on the couch and in the kitchen, and I'm afraid a few may have become meals for the neps and sarrs, but everyone is aphid-free.
    It's worth a shot! You can find bags of ladybugs, and even praying mantis egg cases, at most garden centers and hardware stores.
    HOLDEN [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    ...No snowflake ever lands in the wrong place...