Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When sarrs go dormant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for translating BCK. So, they can handle a major freeze thaw cycle? Interesting. Too bad we hit negative farenhight here. Well, I guess I'll be using the seller. At least when my baby northern purps grow up I can leave them outside... hey um, is it better for seedling nothern purples to skip a dormancey or have one their first year?
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experiences, light is not needed. However, if, like me, you stick your pots in a garage for the winter, some light is beneficial, as far as not letting fungus become too rampant (fungicide also is a must if you do this).

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sarras are outdoors year 'round. When the temps get cold, I cut off any dead material on the pitchers but leave any part that is capable of photosynthesis. My s. purpureas have surivived winters with surprisingly little damage. They have done fine through freezing weather. Then in the spring, I cut off any dead pitchers or ends of pitchers to make room for the new growth.

I'm sure having some light thru dormancy would be best seeing as that's their state in the wild. But they do survive refrigeration.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I overwinter all my species in my cellar. Temps are above freezing, but just above, with occasional freezes for short periods. I think plants getting some light do have the advantage as Alvin says; I keep the prized plants in the small cellar windows, and these always seem to "recover" first in the spring. It takes the others until July to really look their best. I think your cellar will be fine for dormancy, just dont forget to keep them moist (not wet). The only plants I have lost dried out over the winter.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard some purps don't need dormancy. Can anyone tell me which ones these are. I bought my from pft. Do I need to give it dormancy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

All Sarracenia need dormancy, even purpurea. The only exception is seedlings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine has stopped a lot of it's major growth and seems to be going dormant. I may place it down in my basement in the next couple of weeks.

Do I clip off all the pitchers, or do I leave them all on throughout the dormancy? Is it best to repot now in dormancy, or afterward when the weather warms up?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123