What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitcher plant "drying" up

My Sarr's tallest pitchers have dried up and altho it's putting up a few new ones, I'm still worried cos the big pitchers dried up in a very short time period. Is there a prob?

Hi ebeyonder,
What conditions are your plants in and how long have they been there? If you recently put them into full sun or low humidity, this could explain the drying of the pitchers. Another problem might be mealybug infestation of the rhizomes, which will dry up the pitchers from the top down and soon kill the plant. The one other option I can think of is that there might more bugs or plant matter in the pitcher than the plant can handle in which case the stuff could rot and cause the upper portion of the pitcher to die.
Hope this helps,
Rubra

Now that you've mentioned it, there are some white cotton-like stuff on the bottom of the pitchers. I didn't think that they were dangerous, so I left them alone. Are these bugs? How do I get rid of them? Will they spread to myother plants, like VFTs, Pings, sundews, etc?

I answerd this in your other post on the subject, but now that I read you have other plants near by, well, I'd say expect heavy casualties if it spreds.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (rubrarubra @ Aug. 15 2003,8:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi ebeyonder,
What conditions are your plants in and how long have they been there?  If you recently put them into full sun or low humidity, this could explain the drying of the pitchers.  Another problem might be mealybug infestation of the rhizomes, which will dry up the pitchers from the top down and soon kill the plant.  The one other option I can think of is that there might more bugs or plant matter in the pitcher than the plant can handle in which case the stuff could rot and cause the upper portion of the pitcher to die.
Hope this helps,
Rubra[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
how long will it take plants to get used to the low humidity when they come from ATL

Sorry, but what's atl?
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

Mature pitchers do not adjust to change in humidity, but pitchers produced in low humidity will be more resilient and will last longer. Full sun will still burn any pitchers, so as long as you provide some shade during the summer you will have great looking plants.
Peter

thats what happened to mine a while ago, all my tallest pitchers dried up in a short period of time but now its fine, someone told me that this happens to sarrs

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (rubrarubra @ Aug. 16 2003,04:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sorry, but what's atl?  
confused.gif

biggrin.gif

Mature pitchers do not adjust to change in humidity, but pitchers produced in low humidity will be more resilient and will last longer.   Full sun will still burn any pitchers, so as long as you provide some shade during the summer you will have great looking plants.
Peter[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
atl is atlanta georgia

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (rubrarubra @ Aug. 16 2003,04:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sorry, but what's atl?  
confused.gif

biggrin.gif

Mature pitchers do not adjust to change in humidity, but pitchers produced in low humidity will be more resilient and will last longer.   Full sun will still burn any pitchers, so as long as you provide some shade during the summer you will have great looking plants.
Peter[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
o and should i move it to all shade

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">o and should i move it to all shade[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I have my plants getting sun in the morning and part sun the rest of the day; you don't get much coloration in the pitchers if they are in full shade.

Back