What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Landscaping with darlingtonia

Below is an example of the use of Darlingtonia as a landscape plant in an urban setting. The United Indian Health Services building in Arcata, California has created a completely artifical stream that runs through a central plaza, under the building, and around its perimeter. The water is then pumped back to the beginning of the stream. Clumps of Darlingtonia and other riparian plants are interspersed throughout the 'stream' system, making a lovely setting.
UIHS_Darlingtonia318.JPG

hey,
That is to cool. That would look real nice in my backyard! Thanks for sharing,
Kevin

CooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooooOOOOOL , but i'm confused , is that your backyard ,or is it some building that you seem to have found the darlingtonia , and where did the darlingtonia come from , what is that growing in , are there any more cps in the stream ?

goldtrap2690, read the top message. The photo is of the United Indian Health Services building in Arcata. I could venture a guess where they got the plants, but will refrain. The plants are not in pots, but are planted in a gravel-sand soil placed among rocks at the edge of the artifical stream. There are 20 or more clumps like the one shown in the photo dispersed along the 'stream'. The crown of some of the clumps are slightly submerged, others are are in soil a couple of inches above the water surface. Most appear to be quite healthy and happy in this setting.

That is beautiful.
smile.gif
But I do wonder where they came from...

Suzanne

I don't know why, but that lanscaping scene reminds me of The fast and the furious. Where they consficated that building. Looking at the scene right now, and it doesn't look anything like it. I'm just having this weird dejavu thingy.

my darlingtonia recently died today , it seems that it rotted or something , i guess i still will have to learn how to master caring for this plant the next time i think about purchasing one .

Sorry to hear that Goldtrap. I've lost about three so far -- they seem to be hard to keep. Through the forum and info. from a cp book I started to water them with refrigerated water, from the top. They seem to like that better, and one that was almost dead sprouted new babies that are doing well. I hope they continue to do so and keep trying!

cpwitch

Back