What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tallest pitcher contest

After stumbling upon a picture of the famous gardenofeden flava in the cpukforum tallest pitcher contest, i decided we should have a contest too.  There won't be any real prize (sorry i'm a cheap college student
smile.gif
) other than the pride of knowing you have the tallest. You can post a picture of your prized plant if you like or you can just tell us how tall it is. So, what's your tallest pitcher of 2003??

-buckeye

Ok, I'll start off. My tallest pitcher is 6 inches on a S. Wrigleyana.
biggrin.gif
( I really need to get some more Sarrs, somehow&#33
wink.gif

Yay, I'm winning the huge prize as of now!

SF
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

My tallest pitcher so far for the year is from a PFT S. leucophylla "Red" at an approx. 18". I think it may be taller, but i don't want to overestimate.
tounge.gif
I'll measure it this weekend.
smile.gif
And hopefully get a picture.

Oh darn, there goes my prize!  
tounge.gif
  Vertigo,  tripled the record already?!!??!

SF
biggrin.gif

Hehehe, don't worry, i'm sure i'll be handed the royal cp smackdown within a few minutes.
tounge.gif

Man, can't wait to get a S. minor "Okee giant"
wink.gif

I can already tell you who the winner of this contest will be but I am going to keep it a secret.

Ha! I have you beat! 21" on my latest leuco red pitcher!

**now waiting to get slammed by someone with one twice that size....**
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (schloaty @ Sep. 12 2003,1:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ha!  I have you beat!  21" on my latest leuco red pitcher!

**now waiting to get slammed by someone with one twice that size....**
rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hehe, tell me about it. I can't wait to see what Sarracenia, Sarracenia0 and SarraceniaObsessed measure in at.
wink.gif

Wait until I get a ruler.
tounge.gif

How about widest mouth?
wink.gif

HOLY !@@%^&)_+_++%^$#%!!!!
OH MY GOD! (as he shakes uncontrollably, sweating profusely and, drooling all bug-eyed and stuff)

Sarracenia 'Tarnok,'
Atlanta, GA
measuring in at 30" Sept 12 03
pic to follow

Sarracenia 'Leah Wilkerson' (a yet unregistered cultivar)
Atlanta, GA
first flush measuring in at 34" May 03
fall flush measuring in at 30" Sept 12 03
pic to follow

SO THERE! (SPPPPTTT&#33
wink.gif

lol, I only love competition when I can win.

I don't think I even own a tape measure. I'll have to borrow one from work I guess. I do have a ton of plants, but none are really that tall. I think they are too crammed and rootbound. Just guestimating, I don't think anything's over 2' at this point. The tallest plant right now is either an alata, a moorei, or an unknown. The spring pitchers of my (rubra x oreophila) x (oreophila x flava) were probably the tallest I had this year, but those pitchers have since deteriorated and the new ones aren't even close to the spring pitchers.

I think it would be interesting to have a "contest" to see who has the largest volume in one pitcher, or the overall pitcher biomass from one plant; although that would be difficult without harming or killing the plant. I have a flava x psittcina and a mitchelliana that would probably be near the top, but I'd hate to kill them.

Dear lord they are monstrus.

i only wish mine will get that big one day!!!!!!!
i'll have to keep feeding them hehehe.

" ive been feeding my sarra " Flava" seedling fruit fly's
and the (other's) catch fungus gnats , the fruit fly one is a few centimeters wider and almost double the size of the others
rolleyes.gif

i'll take some pic's if i can figure out my dads cammera .

so far all the tallest pitchers submitted to the contest were mostly leucophylla or leucophylla related
tounge.gif
. my tallest pitcher my my leucophylla which seem to be soem variety that i got from my local garden center . it was very week since i got it about a year ago and has'nt grown much but a moth ago it started to put out pitchers and they awre quite tall , i guess it was just saving up energy . my tallest opened pitcher at the momet is 15 inches , although there is one unopened one that still has'nt stop growin that is 18 inches . garden of even , that is one huge plant , what are you feeding that thing , pet mice and fishes
wink.gif

well, my sarracenia rubra ssp gulfensis had a 30 inch pitcher, and a 36 inch flower, but my dog broke the pitcher off, and i cut the flower to get seed... next year i will be sure to get pictures...

my sarracenia leucophylla x minor 'okee giant' had around 24 pitchers this year, lets see what i get next year
smile.gif

my sarracenia alata black x flava red had 20 inch pitchers.

my oreophylla had 18 inch pitchers

due to thrips alot of the pitchers on my oreophylla died, but they wont toutch the phyllodia
smile.gif
can anyone give me ideas on killing these annoying insects???
mad.gif
i hate them

with the risk of my 47" being beaten, I would propose that the competition is for plants in cultivation only!!!
wink.gif

gardenofeden,
I totally agree with you. It is only fair. Cultivated plants only.

Aw man! Well, I'm not gonna win, but just for the record: Sarracenia minor, tallest pitcher at two feet tall and over an inch wide. They came from the North Carolina Botanical Gardens. They had them for sale. It said all of them were produced using tissue culture. Urg... until I saw someone pot about a 30 incher, I was beatING... then I saw the post about the 30 incher, and I was beatEN...

WOW, I can't even compete, my current biggest is probably the rarest, but not that tall at 7" or so. A Sarracenia rubra ssp. alabamenensis AL001. Anyways, GardenofEden watch out for the toddler around that thing!! J/K
tounge.gif
wow.gif
rolleyes.gif
confused.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Back