What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to Sarracenia growing

Hi there,

I've just bought my first Sarracenia plant after caring for VFT's for a while. Just a question on the dying pitchers. Do you wait until the whole pitcher dies or chop off the whole pitcher as it starts dying??

It's a shame really most commercial nurseries don't know how to care for CP's. The VFT's were under shade cloth looking very pale and they were all watered with tap water (which where I life is very chloronated). I said they shpuld be given full sun, the nursery attandant said as they are a tropical plant they need low light conditions. I had to laugh
smile.gif
I might revisit this nursery when the domancy stage is just about to set in and see if I can pick up some bargins (If they are not all dead and I live in Australia so your growing season is our domancy period)

What an idiot! that is funny that you laughed though! I would have too! Ha. What an idiot. I would have said. "And you call yourself a nursury attendant?!" Pathetic. Anyhow WELCOME TO THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF AMERICAN PITCHER PLANTS!!!!!!!! First off let the pitcher get about 3/4's of the way dried up until you clip it. You can clip if it looks unsightly but I reccomend against doing so as the living tissue of the other part of the pitcher is still alive and making fod for the plant, so basically clip when it is almost dried up fully or when no living tissue remains. Also do you knwo what species of Sarracenia it is? If it is a rossette with open plump pitchers it is a form of S.Purpurea. If it has upright pitcher it can be any Sarracenia except Purpurea. Let me know! Nep.G.

The plant just has a generic Sarracenia Label on with no indication of the species.  The only thing I can tell you is that the pitchers grow straight up and there is some red veins near the flap of the pitcher.  I haven't been able to identify it using web sources.  Interestingly enough it came from Triffid Park before the butchers at the nursery got to it, so at least it had a good beginning
smile.gif
 It's ok to let these flower right??  The nursery has one that has a flower bud that is just about to pop open but my VFT experience told me not to get it
smile.gif

Also done some more research and I believe it's a hybrid of some sort possibly flava x purpurea x oreophila

(Edited by Wado at 8:39 pm on Feb. 20, 2002)

Allright you have a Trumpet variety of Sarracenia which ae the majority of Sarracenia. The only odd plants are Purpurea,Psittacina,and maby Minor. All the rest are the Trumpet or upright types. OK Let it flower if it does/wants to. Flowering will not hurt Sarracenia unless they are very young and/or are sickly and have a disease on them. So now we have figured out that it is a trumpet variey or commonly described as "a flute or horn stuck in the ground." By the sound of it with red viening near the top it may be an S.Rubra or probably a hybrid. Post a picture if you can. Also what color are the pitchers? Red,Green,Yellow?

The pitchers are green. The outlaws are coming over tonight with their digi camera so hopefully I can get a few snaps:)

The outlaws? Do you mean inlaws?Anyhow if the pitchers are gren (which they are!) it can be a variety of Sarracenia Plant except Purpurea,Psittacina or maby S.Minor.

Hehehe, I went back down to that nursery to liberate the Sarracenia with the flower bud. This one appears to be of the Purpurea variety, also got a couple of sundews
smile.gif
My CP collection sure is growing. Mind you I saw a sad sight of dead or very close to dead VFT's siting in a tray under a bench. They should at least put the tray in full sun to see if they can rescue some of them, but I guess they don't know better. Should offer them a couple of bucks and try to bring them back.

I've got digi photos of my Sarracenis's so I'll post a link to a website that they are on soon.

Good job saving the Purpurea. You can tell if the pitcher is wide open that it is a Purpurea.

Back