User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Purple pitcher plant?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a new pitcher plant, all the label says on it is "purple pitcher plant" it is a really healthy looking plant. The pitchers are kind of short and wide any. What kind of growing conditions should I give this plant? can I put it with my VFT's that get about 5 or 6 hours of direct sunlight a day? I am very unsure on what to do with this plant, and I really do not want to kill it. Should I take the plastic cover off? Any tips or advice or anything I should know would be fantastic. thanx [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] I got it from Franks nursery
    I miss my old signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you have an S. purpurea. I would take the cover off, keep it wet, and it should do fine with the same amount of light as your VFT. I have a few of these planted in mini bogs outside in full sun in Florida. With more light the veining is more pronounced and the older pitchers turn red. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    There's a tunnel at the end of the light...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

The only advice I can offer you is to remove the cover slowly. Just a couple of hours the first day....you get the picutre. Just let it adjust to lower humidity....I have mine out on the deck with 4-6 hours of sun (with my VFT's), and we don't usually have very high (or very low) humidity. These suckers are really tough to kill. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Oh, yeah. There is an older thread about milk....I have found that my S.Purpurea responds really well to a drop of whole milk in a mature pitcher.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to break the thread, but what part of florida do you live in Dyflam?
    Joel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Palm Bay, east of Orlando, south of Cape Canaveral.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips, i hae been letting it adjust to a change in humidity, I think I will put it out in the sun in a few days for a couple hours. Anything else I should know would be great. I also have a judith hindle that is doing great right now, should I just put the purpurea near it? The hindle gets about 5 hours of sun a day. Thanks again
    I miss my old signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should be fine with 5 hours of sun... just break it in kinda slow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should I ever add water to the pitchers? If so how much and when? I put the purpurea out in the sun for about 3 hours today, it seems to be doing ok [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    I miss my old signature