Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just order some S. leucophylla hybrids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently orders an S. leucophylla and two S. Leucophylla hybrids. I can't remember which ones. Anyway, I live in North central Oklahoma and need a little advice on how to grow them. My original idea was to put all three in a large ceramic flower pot and place them on the back porch (facing NE). I'm new to the pitcher plant thing and am also concerned about excess water loss in the hot OK summer. Would it be better if I planted them in a container and buried it below ground to avoid the pot overheating? Also, exactly what soil mixture should I use and can I obtain what I need at say, Lowes? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Buckmaster

Marshfield, MA (US) USDA zone 6 cold-temperate coastal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sarrs appreciate full sun, so place them in as bright a spot as possible (doesn't that sentence sound odd read out loud?).

If you use a ceramic pot, glaze it. In the summer, you'll want to constantly keep min. 1" of pure water in the tray at all times.

I'm not sure about the climate in Oklahoma...anyone else here from OK?

You can easily obtain Sphagnum peat moss and horticultural sand at Lowes. Make sure the moss is specifically labeled 'sphagnum'. For sand, buy something with grains not tiny like beach sand, but with larger grains.

Any more questions welcome.
    Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you'll be fine... I have a thrity six inch planter crammed full of sars and flytraps, I keep 2 inches of water in it at all times. And I live in south texas! I would just potem up on the porch and enjoy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The temperature here is generally in the upper 90's and even 100's in July, August and the first of September. I think with the plants on the NE side of the house they will be shaded from the HOT afternoon sun. Do they need this protection? Will an undrained container be OK or would the tray method be better? I'm concerned about the amount of water I will go thru with the tray method. Is soil temperature going to be a problem with an above ground container? I do have one thing going for me though, it is normally pretty humid, about 40% relative humidity on the really hot days, and 50% or more the rest of the days. Sorry to be such a pain, but I really don't want to kill my plants. At which I am quite good.
    Thanks,
    Buckmaster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not being a pain at all! [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

I wouldn't want the sarrs fried (baked is much healthier, jk), so maybe you should keep them lightly shaded while still providing high light. Your spot for them sounds fine.

If you used the tray method, you'd need to refill the tray often. You'd also need a large, tall tray.

If you want to put in some work, you could consider an artificial bog submerged in the ground. It would keep the roots cooler and give the setup a more natural appearance.

Just how cold (in winter) does it get where you live? If it is too warm, you'd have to use an above-ground container so you could move them to a cooler spot for dormancy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It gets plenty cold. The coldest snaps we have are generally not below 20 degrees and only last a few days. However, it does occasionally reach the teens and below. The rest of the time it stays somewhere from the upper thirties to mid fourties. Our coldest weather usually falls in the months of Dec. to Feb. Will they be OK outside year round?
    Thanks,
    Buckmaster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely. I grow sarrs outside with winter minimums below -5F, with loads of mulch.

I'm not so sure, but your sarrs may even need some light protection in winter if you decide to grow them in a bog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking that the flower pot would be the easiest, especially since I only have a few plants. If I go with the pot, is undrained OK? Should I put it in the garage during the winter?
    Thanks a Million,
    Buckmaster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast