What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rhizome rot

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
I have now lost a second S. 'Tarnok' to this beast and I really am getting sick of it. I am not sure exactly what it is but here is the profile:

The plants grow just fine and then one day they suddenly lose turgur pressure. Looking at the rhizome you can not see any sign of disease but if you give it a squeeze odds are it will squish somewhere along the length. Cutting the rhizome open reveals that it is mostly brown throughout with white only at the leading end, more often than not it is the area that has roots that is struck the hardest. No actual sign of fungus and no trace of pests. Anyone have any idea what this is and how to beat it?

I lost a 4-5 year old S. rubra ssp. rubra this spring.  I lost it right at the start of the growing season.  It started out growing like normal but soon it looked the same way you described your s. 'Tarnok.'  As far as i know there is no way to prevent rhizome rot other than growing the plant correctly.  And sometimes even when you do everything right, a plant will still develop rot.  So basically the cause is unknown and the cure is also unknown.  The only way i know of to stop the rot from spreading is to slice off the healthy part of the the rhizome and replant it.  However, since the rhizome is underground it is very hard to know when rot has set in until it affects the plant.  And usually by then the rhizome is pretty much gone.  So i would recommend just pitching the plant and buying a new one.  This is what i did to replace my rubra.

Good luck!!

-buckeye

i lost an s. purpurea purpurea to this monster disease , d. binata , all my pygmie sundews which were only 2 , a n. ventrata . weird , i have done everything right .

Fungal infection is a common problem for plants that need high levels of humidity. I battle the problem by preventing it. i use trichoderma fungus. yes another fungus that eats the bad ones. it is available commercially under different names. Please find out which one is available in the states.

Common names: Trichopel, Trichoflow, Trichodry, and there are other brand names. Since I used it, I have not had a single problem with my babies.

Of course infected plants won't recover, even if you use this product, but uninfected will be protected for months. You can reapply it as many times as you wish without side effects on your plants. I hope this helps.

Agustin Franco

That kind of rot, in any plant, is almost always caused by stagnent water. How much water are you giving them and do they have enough sun to use it up in a day or two?

This isn't due to standing water. I grow all my Sarrs outside (Atlanta is great for that.) They never sit in trays, I top water every few days as needed. Full sun for at least 5 hours a day, ventilation is great because they are outside and they are not tightly clumped

One of the most effective fungicides is sulphur. This stuff kills everything. One thing though, if you are planning to cure your plant, keep it in sulphur for no more than 1 week. After that repot it. If you don't, you'll kill your plant.

Agustin

Back