Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Giant Cephalotus follicularis "myth or reality"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to ask Wistuba, from the Nepenthes Nursery. He carries these plants in his stock and might know about any special requirements.

Mike [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

P.S. I just ordered on of these, to trade to someone else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe:

Don't expect your giants to reach full size in matter of months, it may take 3 years to reach full size. Furthermore, the variety sold by Wistuba is a slow grower, and if you expose your plant to too much light, the pitchers will never reach full size either. A clue is that if the pitcher is changing colour they are receiving too much light to get any bigger.

Giant cephs ah??. They do exist but they need special treatment: Low light, high humidity, and 30-40% Sun

This is a picture from Mr. Jeno Kapitany, Paradisia Nurseries, Victoria Australia. Good Ceph grower, I must say.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is amazing...just beautiful! The time would be well worth the wait to get something that large and beautiful.

Thanks for sharing the picture.

Suzanne
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (http://www.carnivorousplantsuk.co.uk.../ceph.pict.jpg @ April 13 2003,04:51)

Cephalotus Giant Form

The Cephalotus is grown in a large bucket and as a span of nearly 12 inches across and every pitcher measures 3 inches in height. The plant is grown by Julie Jones from the UK.
    Cephalotus Giant Form

[/QUOTE]
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] Found this pic on google

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice Picture Spectabilis. I did speak to Julie Jones about 2 months ago and I have one that is next to a large size egg. That one is going to the article I am writing as well. I did have permission to publish it.

Agustin Franco

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope every ceph. grower here knows that the pitchers only reach full size under low light. A good method is to let the pitchers develop under low light conditions, then put in more intense light so the pitchers can color up. I will soon be getting a giant form from Wistuba myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is very interesting. So, which of the two "giant" forms are the two photos that have been posted so far? I was also wondering what kind of lighting is best to get the plant to maximum size. Say, i want it to fill the pot. In that case, is low or bright lighting better? It often grows in full sun in the wild. Does anyone know why low light leads to larger pitchers?

Cheers
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all:

The picture I posted some time ago does not belong to either giant form. It is a giant ceph, as far as I can tell, but it is neither the hummer's giant nor the giant form introduced to Germany almost 20 years ago. The argument is that some types of cephs can reach large sizes, because they have the predisposition to do so. It is the matter of discriminating which is which. I am sure, in nature there must be more than the two characterized so far. However, the ability to know which ones will turn out giants and which ones won't regardless of how excellent the growing conditions are remains to be deciphered.

Low light or High lights?. Would it make a difference if you plot a graph versus time exposure?. I guess most cephs need certain amount of light regardless of how strong or weak your light bulb is. If they are not getting enough, they will not turn red or purple, but they will have relative big pitchers. It is a thing you will have to work out yourself. However, they need the light for photosynthesis (making their own food) if you give them too much light, why would they need to eat insects though?. Maybe that is why the pitchers don't grow to full size under these conditions. On one hand, If you give them barely enough light, they will have to develop bigger pitchers to trap insects in order to compensate for the lack of light!!. In other words, the plant is adjusting while switching a source of nourishment for another!!. Anyway, this is just an tentative explanation for what many cp growers have confirmed so far.

I hope i have answered most of your questions!!!!!

Agustin Franco

9. Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast