What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Common Sar. Question

• Thread starter ritlane
  • Start date
Hello all,
  Quite some time ago, I received a Sar. Leuc off of eBay (from Cooks).  I was very happy when I received the root, as it was much larger than any plants I had then.  It was about 6-7 inches long and maybe an inch in diameter.

Since I have planted it, it has only put up broad and flat leaves, and not the amazing pitchers I had hoped.  I know this is a rather common complaint, but I wanted to ask the experts why they think this might be happening in my case.  I do believe it is getting enough light, so I was wondering if any of the following could be causes:

1) Is this a normal part of such a radical shock?  It was shipped to me bare root, so I immagine it is concentrating on establishing new roots, and not on feeding.

2) I have also heard this can be caused by too much perlite in the soil.  As it is in a non-draining window box, I did put in a good deal of perlite to help with air circulation.  I didn't think I put in an exceptional amount though.

3) Is the plant just hopeless for some other reason?  Should I just give up on it?

My goal is to make an attractive collection of Sars. in a window box about 1.5 feet long.  Hopefully including the new PFT ones.  If this plant is merely establishing roots, I won't disturb it, but if it is hopeless, I'd like to know.

---Lane

Hi,
It is quite common to see leucos pushing up phyllodia instead of pitchers in the Spring, but wait until Autumn/late Summer and the plant should produce pitchers then. I use a compost mix of 3 peat:1 perlite and that should be OK.

I would put holes in your window box 5 to 6 inches below the soil level so that your plants don't get too waterlogged. Even better putting them into pots and watering with the tray method.

my lucy's have been putting out phyllodia all summer... now, my mardi gras has put up it's first grand showing, and the lucy is starting to follow suit..

patience.. it is just how they are.

I learned that from Mike, Leuco's are among the most unshowiest Sarracenia in the spring. AS I learned and now I have about a 2 and one half to 3 ft tall PITCHER forming on it, I have got to get a picture and post it here! It's the 1st normal sized pitcher this year and not underdeveloped. So yeah you should have a few pitchers coming.

Here's my S.Leucophylla's greatest pitcher yet! I am sure there will be MANY more larger ones than this!  
wow.gif

11275783-287d-01600120-.jpg

11275763-7076-01600120-.jpg

Nep G...

My leuco's one pitcher looks like that...its very thin and tall but does have a fully open pitcher that the top. It has a new pitcher almost as tall but not yet inflated. Can't wait to see what it looks like.
smile.gif

Suzanne

wow and to think
im already plating my plant as of now !
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif

my lucy looks like that, just not so red... I have about 4 of those pitchers right now...

Nep G:

The Lucy is nice, but I also couldn't help notice the Cobra in the background. How did you get them to become so fat? Are they normal cobras or are they some kind of dwarf strain that's all short and buffed up? Mine tend to grow real thin.
confused.gif

What's your soil recipe for the Cobra? Do you ever feed them manually, and if so, with what?

Very impressive!

Leo

Back