What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

creepy white organisms

Ok, I just noticed that in three of my pitchers, there are white worm like creatures swimming around inside the insect soup. They normally float on the surface of the goo, but when I disturb them, they would dive down into the liquid, later surfacing again. They look like maggots, only they are longer - kind of like short tapeworms. When I look at them carefully, it becomes quite obvious that they are feeding. So far, my plant doesn't seem to mind, but I'm wondering what the #### these things are, and whether they are harmful.

Anyone else seen anything like this in their sarrs?

Leo

Never seen that with my plants. Could they be mosquito larvae? They have a tendancy to spazz out and swim down if disturbed.

Where I come from, there are enough mosquitoes to pick me up and carry me away!!
wow.gif
It's mosquito larve.

Were do you come from lith?
confused.gif

it is not neccisarily mosquito larvae...

I saw this last year after feeding a nice juicy fly to one of my sars, and had this going on only in that pitcher... I wondered if maybe her maggots hatched inside her body after dieing...

there are literally thousands of things it could be...

But I to had it...

it sounds like they are cranefly larvae. many species of cranefly larvae are aquatic and fit the description you give. it could also be a species of hover fly. not sure which species, but the larvae looks like a rat. it has a fat maggot looking body with a long tail that they poke out of the surface of the water to breath with. as long as they dont harm the plant, i think itll be ok. well good luck!

-josh

Well, whatever it is, it seems like the unanimous opinion here is that it is some kind of larvae. Does that mean that when they turn into flying insects, they're just gonna fly out, or are they doomed by the fact that they were laid inside a carnivorous plant to begin with (i.e. they are forever trapped)? I hope the latter is true because that's like 6 free insects for my plant to consume
smile.gif

Leo

Is it very fat and squat? I had one on my Purpurea and all I did was spear it with a toothpick and injured it enough to die off then I fed it back to the Purpurea it was on. And after I killed it I never had another one. Perosnally. I would try to go "Spearing" like they do for carp with a fish spear and try to spear the little buggers with a toothpick! Then after you spear them they wil die off as of the opened wound on them. But if you don't want to do that you can just let them be as they do no harm to the pitchers or palnt but it is kinda gross to see them in your pitchers!
tounge.gif

YEEHAW!!! Let's go giggin' in our Sarrs
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

pyro u sound like u can add some new stuff to the obsessed forum,
u jsut gave me some ideas so i might beat u to it
wink.gif

Back